Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

sad story

Old 02-21-2004, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default sad story

Today I was driving on a kind of "back road" in Central NY, I saw a dead turkey on the side of the road in the snow, I thought it was maybe hit - I slowed down. I and saw another too, so I stopped the car to see what I was looking at. In the snowbank were 4 dead turkeys, their breastmeat cut out and the rest of the carcasses heaved into a snowbank.

It didn't make me too proud to be a hunter. In fact, I doubt most people driving by didn't know what they were looking at.

- The season's been closed here several months - these were "fresh" kills.
Old 02-22-2004, 03:18 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: sad story

It didn't make me too proud to be a hunter. In fact, I doubt most people driving by didn't know what they were looking at.
Why should this make you not proud to be a hunter? There are only 2 reasons this should make you not be proud to be a hunter (in my opinion) 1. your the guilty party (which I don't think so) 2. you didn't call and report it.

DNR may not be able to catch the person responsible, but it will make them aware of the problem. As a HUNTER (not a poacher) it is our responsibility to look after the welfare of our game and report such atrocities. You shouldn't feel guilty in the least about being a hunter and never associate yourself with sorry a$$ poachers. Show how responsible a hunter you are and make the call. And I hate to hear that this is going on around you.
Old 02-22-2004, 05:24 AM
Typical Buck

You should always be proud to be a hunter,as such we are stewards of the land and it's wildlife.Being a hunter is what seperates us from wonton wasteful killers
Old 02-22-2004, 05:43 AM
Typical Buck

Farm hunter,

Hold your head and as others said, make the call.

dog1
Old 02-22-2004, 05:50 AM

Man I hate to hear that, I promise you, that whoever did it, is not a turkey hunter by any means and probably takes all his game that way. Go sit in the local diner and just listen, this loud mouth will DEFINITLEY be there spouting his story. I have seen these kind of guys many times. I know some of them are just shooting their mouths off to look like the GREAT WHITE HUNTER they ARE NOT! I love to confront these guys when I hear their stories, making sure anyone sitting close by hears it. This usually turns them red in the face because now the have to fess up in fornt of everyone as to the truth or the lie, most of the time they try and lie their way out of it, another thing brought to light while I'm standing there. Boy I could go on and on about these encounters. If you called the game warden, he probably allready has an idea as to who it was, lets just hope he catchs them now.
Old 02-22-2004, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

FH,better listen to the fellas here,they give great advice!Whoever did this is far from a hunter but more like a coward!![:@]The sad part is that it will continue if NOTHING is done about it!And in alot of cases the act itself usually equaits itself with other wrong doings such as killing them with a rifle,roost shooting,tresspassing,etc!These type of folks dont care"obviously"Get the law invovled,even if they dont catch them in most cases if they catch wind the law is invovled they tuck tail and run to do it somewhere else!!We have our share of spotlighters,and poachers who think they are some kind of hunting genious by killing a deer or two out of season and in some of thems case carry nice rap sheets around with them too!Anytime I find out there in my neck of the woods I'm on the lookout and in a couple of cases I know for sure they ended up at least being stopped and talked too by a warden!It may not stop them but in many cases like I said they move to another area!![:'(]These as%$OLES are the dogooders and enviromentalists best friends!!![:@]
Old 02-22-2004, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am always proud to be a hunter, but seeing that type of junk makes me mad and sad that there are other "poachers' who put themseleves in the same catagory as my self and other ethical law abiding hunters. Contact the DNR as soon as possible.
Old 02-22-2004, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

if you dont , i will .......hunters wouldnt do a thing like that, only low life poachers would....stand tall and report it.....
Old 02-22-2004, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

You know I shouln't have said I wasn't proud to be a hunter - that was wrong of me.

However, I know that whoever "dumped" these carcasses is likely in the next town over, - really who would advertise their poaching ways in their own back yard like this???

I think that tomorrow, I will make a call to the DEC and report it, who knows - maybe others like me have noticed it on other roads in the area. It kind of upsets me that as hunters we have to defend ourselves this way. Then again, its equally frustrating that most people probably drove right by without the slightest knowledge of the crime.