Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

ever hunt the same bird 2 years in a row???

Old 02-12-2002, 04:12 PM

Default ever hunt the same bird 2 years in a row???

just wondering if anyone ever hunted what they thought or knew was the same gobbler for 2 seasons or more ? here in PA last year i hunted the same gobbler 5 saturdays in a row and only had him within 60 yards once and no shot taken. didnt feel i could get a clean kill. i had him gobbling his head off answering every call i made, good or bad, every day i was out first thing in the morning but he always went the wrong way, for me anyway. in fact the last saturday of our season i actually got setup an hour before light in the same spot i had been hunting this bird and called for almost 2 hours trying to get a response with no luck only to have him fly out of the tree next to me. i turned around just in time to see him hit the ground and take off running. i heard no other shots the rest of the morning and since that was our last day of the season im hoping he is still in the area, that is if the coyotes didnt get him. if he is still alive what are the odds he will be hanging in the same area? oh yeah he had about a 10" beard then so who knows this year???
Old 02-12-2002, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ever hunt the same bird 2 years in a row???

I love when i hear those guys who say they hunted the same gobbler 2 or 3 years in a row. How in the world would you know it was the same gobbler. With the hunting pressure that we have today your lucky if you kill a 3 year old gobbler, let alone hunt the same bird 2 years in a row.
Old 02-12-2002, 07:38 PM

I AGRRE WITH MR. LONGBEARD. NOT UNLESS HE HAD A DISTINCTIVE FEATURE. BUT, I DOUBT IT
Old 02-13-2002, 09:50 PM

We hunted a bird that had a good bit of white on his back for two years near Natchez and the closest we got was about 100 yards one day in a pasture during a serious thunderstorm. It was raining so hard , you could see him strech his neck out , but you couldnt hear the gobble. It was awesome. But that 3rd year , we failed to see him. he probably fell prey to some predator that summer.
Old 02-14-2002, 07:38 PM

Here in Ms. a gobbler has to have atleast a 6"beard.Well it was the first year they started that new rule,I was out scouting on some national forest land one morning and I hear 3 gobblers.I eased up on them while they were still on the limb.They flew down in a clear cut and it was 3 jakes.With the new law in affect I figured I would call the birds in.Well they came in and gobbled and gobbled, they wouldent leave so I finally had to spook em off.
Well a couple of weeks into the season I wound up calling the same turkeys in and again I had to spook em off to get em to leave..
The following year these same 3 gobblers were still right there in the same section of land.Couldent get them to work a bit nothing that I did could entice them in to my calling.
That year I was working alot and dident hunt much,but the following year I went back and hunted not even thinking about these 3 particular birds and wound up getting on one early .The turkey wouldent give me the time of day but would gobble here and there at crows and whatever.Anyway I slipped up on the turkey,he was in a food plot with some hens and 2 other long beards.
I have to think that these were the 3 birds that I encountered 2 years earlier as jakes..
I hunted(chased) these birds 2 other occasions and never did bag any of them...

Old 02-15-2002, 01:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know of them birds...the same bird you see more than one season...they do exist. I've had a couple different birds at a couple different hunting spots. I know it's the same gobbler when it was the only gobbler i seen during season..during summer...during winter..and guess what during spring. And it's the only one in the area. And that when I know I've seen the same bird for over a year. He didn't move, he just stayed in the same place and got smarter.
Visit My Hunting Page
Old 02-15-2002, 03:04 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-15-2002, 03:36 PM

so if the gobbler i hunted last spring didnt die this winter (the whole northeast had a very mild winter) will he likely be in the same area? in other words should i start filling out my tag awhile? just kidding!
Old 02-15-2002, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have hunted areas and killed a gobbler then went back in this area a week later and killed another. Those birds looked identical to me. To be honest every turkey i ever killed looked just like the other turkeys i have killed except the beard might have been 1/2 inch longer or shorter. Must be a lot of inbreeding going on were i hunt at.