Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Rubberbands on Turkey Call

Old 02-15-2004, 07:29 PM

Default Rubberbands on Turkey Call

I bought a Fool Proof turkey call and there are 2 rubberbands on it. Am I supposed to remove these or keep them on? When I remove these I can call the same. Also it says to chalk it frequently. What chalk do I use and where do I get it?
Old 02-15-2004, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rubberbands on Turkey Call

Zak,leave the rubber bands on.One purpose of the rubber bands is it returns the lid to it's original position when makin a call such as a cluck.On a double sided call they are used for the same reason when makin a gobble.As for chalk use an oil free chalk,such as carpenters or loggers chalk you can get sticks of chalk at about any hardware store and it's cheaper than if you buy it from a sportin goods store.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rubberbands on Turkey Call

Zak welcome to the forum here!!Jalvja as usual gives good advice concerning the rubberbands.For your chalk needs,which is very important to the quality of tone your box produces I would go with Hunters Specialties box chalk!Not only does it work but the best thing I like about it is it comes in a thick stick so it wont break all up like most do!Hers a look...
http://www.wingsupply.com/detail.asp...ID=HS06864&p=3
Old 06-14-2012, 12:15 PM
JW
Super Moderator

As they said leave thge rubber bands on.......and I always add a rubber band or two to the handle to secure the handle (lid of the call) to the main body when I am not using it. Why?
It helps me make the call squeak free when I am walking.
That way the only thing creakin' is my ole joints!

And I carry a small bag of various size rubber bnads and they do break and come in handy for all sorts of things......

JW
Old 06-14-2012, 04:10 PM
neb
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by JW
As they said leave thge rubber bands on.......and I always add a rubber band or two to the handle to secure the handle (lid of the call) to the main body when I am not using it. Why?
It helps me make the call squeak free when I am walking.
That way the only thing creakin' is my ole joints!

And I carry a small bag of various size rubber bnads and they do break and come in handy for all sorts of things......

JW
Same here!!!
Old 06-14-2012, 06:50 PM
Typical Buck

Is this advice you guys are giving unique to a Lynch Foolproof call? When you mention the rubberband "returns the lid to it's original position when makin a call such as a cluck, I have to wonder how much extra noise that makes. (Nice avatar, by the way,Jalvja, looking forward to seeing the new OL this year)

I'll second using the H.S. chalk, pretty reasonable, too.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Murdy
Is this advice you guys are giving unique to a Lynch Foolproof call? When you mention the rubberband "returns the lid to it's original position when makin a call such as a cluck, I have to wonder how much extra noise that makes. (Nice avatar, by the way,Jalvja, looking forward to seeing the new OL this year)

I'll second using the H.S. chalk, pretty reasonable, too.
You won't get any sound on the back stroke.A common mistake alot of people make is lifting the paddle from the box on the back stroke.Like any friction call,The striker(paddle)should never leave the call surface (the box part). Go Steelers,lol
Old 06-15-2012, 05:19 AM
JW
Super Moderator

With the rubber bands in place and if you take the call and smack the palm of your hand quick you can cluck nicely. Works on eother double or single sided boxes.

Others have mentioned if you grab the box by the end with the paddle facing outward (double sided box calls only) you can make a preatty good gobble sound by shaking the call.
I love my boxes - burned a few up tho with the cutting I do!

JW