Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Mouth Call Preservation

Old 01-28-2004, 08:20 PM
VP

Default Mouth Call Preservation

I know we all spend countless dollars on calls in general every year, not because we have to but just because we "WANT TO".(Think it's in a Turkey Hunters Genes).
Anyway, what methods do you use to keep your mouth calls fresh from year to year- I've seen some solutions out there and wondered if they were wroth trying or not-
I've always washed mine in a little room temp water real good and froze them in the freezeer until the next year- Some of them hold up better then others and continue to have a decent sound to them- although others lacked that clear sound and the reeds sometimes tend to get a little loose.

Of course if they ALL kept, I would have to come up with another exuse to tell my wife I need more calls........
Old 01-28-2004, 08:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Mouth Call Preservation

I wash mine then place flat tooth picks between the reeds then store them in the refridgerator. I put them in the vegetable crisper. But that is just how I keep em.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always rinse mine off really well with cold to warm water and then stick either toothpicks between the reeds or I use the call savers by quaker boy.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:22 PM

I usually just toss my used calls in the trash after every season, gives me a good reason to buy new ones the next spring! During the season, I try to rinse mine off with water and place something between the reeds to keep them from sticking while the call dries out. If I have new ones that weren't used during the season, I keep them in the fridge until the next spring.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:31 PM

I ALWAYS soak mine in mouth wash for about a day with toothpicks between the reeds. It kills germs and makes the calls taste sweet. I make sure to rinse them in water after the day-long soaking so i get the mouth wash from between the reeds so it won't stick. They sound as good as ever, and help control that morning breathe. After season I do the mouth wash thing and then keep them in the freezer. My favorite call is 3 years old and still sings a sweet tune.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some Calls are made with a adhesive frames, Placing the calls in a freezer can allow the sticky to freeze up and then allow the laytex reeds to slip. I would think the better place is in the crisper of the fridge aswell , this also helps the control of Bacteria from starting. As the others about have said , this should be done after a rinse and savers placed in...BT
Old 01-29-2004, 07:58 AM
Fork Horn

I'll rinse mine down with water if possible after each hunt,but at the end of the year I'll toss all the used ones. I haven't had very good luck trying to save a used one till the next season. Now I don't bother to try.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:52 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-29-2004, 03:45 PM

During the season I keep my calls in tins or plastic bubble gum containers..a little smaller than snuff cans. I cut a sliver of soft foam about 1/4" thick and pour just a little scope on it. Every day I use calls I run water down onto the reeds to wash inbetween and then put back in container and put in frigde. Never have problem with reeds sticking together. End of season I put them into a tupper wear container with lid and freeze in water. I hunt almost everyday of season and have been doing this for about 4yrs. with no ill effect to calls.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like paintbrush I dont even attempt!My preservation method is buy new before season, break them in before season,and when season is over there trashcan bound!!