Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

New to turkey hunting

Old 01-19-2004, 11:11 PM

Default New to turkey hunting

Hey I am going to give turkey hunting a go this spring, our season is from April 10 to May 25. We are allowed 3 turkeys. Is that about avg for everyone else?

I am going to be using a 12 g. full choke, what type of shot do you recommend?

Is it necessary to use a decoy? Should I camo my barrel? I have full camo clothing and face masks, that i will use, along with any natural near by cover.

What type of mouth call would you recommend?

How do you secure spots to go? I am thinking about calling the local fish and game, and seeing if they know of any farmers that will let me hunt their land. I see turkeys all over they place, but they are generally on someones farm, or in a neighborhood with a lot of houses.

I know thats a lot of questions, but i am literally starting from level 1. I have a few books, but besides that i have no other knowledge.

Thanks
Old 01-20-2004, 03:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New to turkey hunting

Spend an Hour and read the forum, There is almost every topic that you have a question for in the back pages. Welcome to the forum jump in and have fun. These guys know what there talking about believe me...BT
Old 01-20-2004, 04:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

First off,Welcome to our flock Idaho As for shells your best bet is to try as many diffrent brands and shot sizes as you can.The only true way to tell which shell will work best is to pattern your gun at diffrent yardages.I'd suggest 20,30 and 40 yds.As for mouth calls again the best one is the one that works best for you and you'll only know that by tryin diffrent brands.You might wanna start out with a call that has 2 thin reeds.It takes some people a long time to master a mouth call so you might also look into gettin yourself a friction call of some type(box,slate,glass,etc.) You don't really need decoys.Sometimes they help but sometimes they hurt you.The main thing about your barrel is that it isn't shiney.The best way to get permission to hunt is to knock on doors,introduce yourself and even offer a day or too helpin the farmers with his chores.Hope this helps ya out a little.Good Luck.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:46 PM

Thanks for the help, i apreciate it.
Old 01-21-2004, 01:53 AM

This is my second year of turkey hunting so I might not be very helpfull, but I can at least give some tips for a new comer like me. Last year being my first year I didn't go out and buy $500 worth of stuff, I wonted to make sure I was going to like it first. So the only gun that I had to use for turkeys was a remington model 1100 with a 30" full choke. This gun only shot 2 3/4" shells. I used #6 shot winchester and at about 30 yards held a really good pattern. This gun was very shiny so I found a camo gun sock that fits over the gun and all I had to do was cut out the section for the magazine port and the ejection port and the trigger. You can find this at any wal-mart.
Now for a call I used a ghost lite made by H.S. Strut. It was soft and the best one that I could get to sound good. But remember that was me, you might have to use something differant. But if you are going to use a mouth call, I would start practicing right now, practice makes perfect.
Now as far as finding a place to hunt, my advice is to find a partner that has been turkey hunting for a few years. That's what I did. Not only did I learn some ins and outs but it made it alot of fun.
Keep in mind you're going to make mistakes. The best advice for that is BE STILL!!! I made that mistake. That putting call seems to eco through the woods very well LOL.
No I didn't bag a turkey last year, even though I had a few chances to, some ammature mistakes and by by birdy LOL. But even so I still had alot of fun. Hope you do to.
Old 01-21-2004, 03:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bama-what do you mean , Last year being my first year I didn't go out and buy $500 worth of stuff, I wonted to make sure I was going to like it first.

you should of known you would be an addict in the making

good luck to you idaho......you've come to the right place for learning