Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

who got you started

Old 01-17-2004, 10:07 PM

Default who got you started

do you have a famous person or friend that got you interested in turkey hunting. this person ben roger lee has inspired me into turkey hunting.
ben is a great teacher, and great turkey hunter.i really had no one to teach me, i had to learn on my own. i watched his videos, seminars etc. if it wasn't watching him, who knows if i would get into turkey hunting as early as i did.
its a shame we losted him due to a accident. ben lee for ever.

Old 01-17-2004, 10:44 PM

Default RE: who got you started

Nobody famous.

I was delivering on my mail route and met a fellow hunter who was in a wheelchair.
He needed some help setting up blinds for deer hunting so I gave him a hand.
We became friends and on his first day on a stand I picked for him he missed a buck and took a doe with his bow.

He repayed me the next spring by taking me spring gobbler hunting.
I took a PA longbeard that year.

I've been hooked ever since.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

In Ontario back in the late 80's , there was No info at all about this sport. I did everything from being a member of the American Turkey Asso. and ordering a membership of Turkey Hunter that is now Turkey and Turkey Hunter. Buying Turkey video's and everything I could to learn a little of the sport. You could not find a Turkey call's on a sport store shelf here so ordering direct from the US was the only way to go. After 140 turkey video's and all the reading I could get in, and the field hours I put into the sport , I think I can call myself a turkey hunter after all. And guess what, there are Turkey calls in every sports store all across Ontario. ...BT
Old 01-18-2004, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ben Rogers Lee was an inspiration to me also!My father-in -law got me introduced to the sport but never was able to take me to the woods.So consequently I followed a path very similar to BT's!I started I believe in 79 and continously listened to a couple of live cassette tapes by Ben and Wilbur Primos!!I had an old Olt box call and my first mouth call was a Penns Woods big tom single reed!I killed my first bird in 81 and its been nothing but making memories ever since!Ben's trough call was the coolest thing since sliced bread in my opinion and when I left that thing in the woods never to be found I could've cried!![:@]He was one heck of turkey hunter and helped a whole lotta folk besides me,and I never even met the man though I wish I would have!!
Old 01-18-2004, 08:36 AM

bobgobble2,
yes that was about when i shot my first turkey in 79 .
i can remember it well,the bird almost flew into my lap.
he flew right past me, and landed about 25 yds or so and he was gobbling his head off. didn't take long to take him, i couldn't beleive my eyes when i saw gobbler strutting and looked so big.my nerves got the best of me and took him.
i also have two of ben lee trough calls. also have two videos, two cassettes that are not opened.i have 45 record of him and not opened. i met him at a sport show and never had camera with me.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Gs,HuntSmart.com offers Bens full line of turkey huntin equipment brought back by his son!Cant say the quality is still there though!I hope you have originals of that trough call because there modern one just doesn't sound the same!!If you do,I'm in the market for one!!!Heres a look at Ben Jr's line.....
http://huntsmart.com/store/index.cfm...8,l-2646&pos=9
Old 01-18-2004, 09:23 AM
Typical Buck

First of all, good post question there gobblerspur My best friend Raymond took me out and got me hooked. We were both new at and learned together by trial and error. Read a book by Ray Eye to get started in the right direction. Kinda wish this site was around back then we started, with all the help that gets posted here I could have saved a lot of money and time on calls, chokes, books and the list goes on. Then again, I'm not sure if I'd want to change the first hand knowledge I've gained over the past 15 years.
Old 01-18-2004, 11:24 AM

A friend took me turkey hunting the first time and I killed a gobbler the first morning.After that I watched videos and read everything I could about turkey hunting.We didn't hunt together again until the last couple of years we get together for a couple days.
Old 01-18-2004, 02:51 PM
Fork Horn

back in 1977 when they reintrduced the Turkeys to our area I fed them through the winter to help them make it(It's been twenty+ years now),When they started Turkey hunting I really didn't Jump on the hunting right away,I kept telling myself I was gonna ,So the one year I put in for a permit and went hunting,That was a education in it's self.they don't look that smart when they are out in back of the house(But get on their term's in the woods)
I did manage to Bag a nice Tom Been hooked ever since.
Since that time my son has become addicted to Turkey hunting.
We have doubled on three hunts so far(I gusse I'm doing something right)lol
Old 01-18-2004, 02:56 PM

Nobody inspired me. I was trout fishing in northwest NJ about 6 years ago and saw a large flock of turkey crossing the road. I was shocked! After getting home, I did research and discovered NJ had an abundant turkey population. I bought books, videos and went went out hunting turkey the following spring. I've been hooked since.

Quick Reply: who got you started

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.