Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Have any of you ever seen a white turkey?

Old 01-03-2004, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Have any of you ever seen a white turkey?

Heres a look at a smoky almost white phase of 1 eastern gobbler standing next to his normal colored brother..
Old 01-05-2004, 07:34 AM
Fork Horn

Saw one while scouting last year. Almost completely white but had some barring in her wings that was gray, not near as much black as in bobgobble2's picture.

Legal? Mine wasn't. It was a hen in a Tom only season. Had I seen her during archery deer season she would have been fair game. Color is not a determining factor when deciding legallity.

I believe it's called, "piebald". They aren't albino unless they have pink eyes and NO gray at all.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:07 AM

We just finished our first winter season here in NW North Carolina. A couple of local hunters took 2 of the "grey phase" hens. They almost look like a cross between a farm yard bird and a wild bird. Their bodies were greyish/white while their fans were almost like a normal Merriams. Anyway it was probably a good thing to thin these birds out of the flock.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

The first hen of the winter season here in Stokes Co. was a white hen.
Weird looking thing.
Old 01-18-2004, 11:13 AM

i killed one .......it was a gobbler had a 9 inch beard.....i got him mounted ....getting pics devolped wright now.....soon has they get devolped i will post pics.......of my solid white turkey....the taxidermist messed my mount up a little bit...he put blue around the eye....i got mad......the gobblers spurs are white and his toe nails are white to...
Old 01-18-2004, 02:44 PM

I too have seen an white turkey. He was an albino though, never could find him come hunting season though [:@]
Old 01-18-2004, 04:07 PM

One Spring My friend Mike and I spotted a white jake with some rust coloration mixed in. We heard he grew to be a few years old and no one ever killed him.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:15 PM
Fork Horn

my uncle used to have a pet white turkey that would pick ur pockets but one night a pit bull got lose an got the turkey
Old 01-19-2004, 05:46 AM

The white turkeys most people report seeing aren't crossed with any tame birds...they are a natural-occuring color phase, and there's no need to "thin them out of the flock." They aren't dilluting the gene pool or hurting anything. Most of them (as TScott said above) aren't truly white like an albino...they have varying degrees of gray and black feathers, tipped with white. They are very beautiful. I had one-such smokey-grey phase hen feed beside me in MS for 10 minutes at about 15 yards. That was very cool [8D].

Another naturally occuring color phase of turkey is called Melanistic, and they appear to be almost entirely black. This is an extremely rare occurance.

A third color phase (and my favorite!) is called Erythratic...they look like a bourbon-red rooster. There is usually a lot of solid white (wing primaries and tail feathers mostly), and the rest of the bird is almost coppery-orange colored. Awesomely beautiful, and I would truly love to someday take a gobbler like this. That is one I would put on the wall, so people could admire him forever. I was able to watch an erythratic hen in a flock of 25 ordinary-colored birds at about 30 yards for almost an hour one day in IN, and that is an experience that will stay with me for life.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:55 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I have seen three basically all white of two different species and none where truly albonos.

All had black eyes and that was the key for me.

Two where hens and one was a Tom.

My latest one was a Merriam in NW Nebr. while pheasant hunting this past fall.

JW!

Quick Reply: Have any of you ever seen a white turkey?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.