Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

turkeys vision

Old 12-08-2003, 07:49 PM

Default turkeys vision

how well can turkeys see color? my turkey vest in a darker pattern than the shirt i wear under it, is that noticable to them or no?

marinestud
Old 12-08-2003, 11:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: turkeys vision

Breaking up your outline is what fools them.To dark of flauge will make you look like a dark unfamiliar blob.But more than anything else movement is what they really key in on,so keep your movements as little as possible...
Old 12-09-2003, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good reply Bob, just to add to your info aswell , Turkeys can see 10 times better then you or I so picking out colour along with movement is a point that hunter needs to over come...BT
Old 12-09-2003, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

Yes I think turkeys can see color. Why else would their heads turn colors during mating time?
Match the camo to the area you hunt and try to stay in the shadows when possible. But no, all your camo does not have to be the same pattern. Different patterns can be helpful. Such as having more brown in the pants to match the forest floor and more green on top to match the leaves on bushes and trees. Mainly though, keep still and have some major fun!
Old 12-09-2003, 10:31 AM
Fork Horn

I don't think much more can be added as the previous posts covered it all, but it can't be emphasized enough.....when turkey hunting, don't move one ioda or you'll be busted and the hunt is over.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Funny how you can have turkeys almost in your lap, but deer can spot you a mile away!!!! I can't tell you how many times while sitting on my seat up against a tree, down wind, only to have deer stop and pick me right out every single time. Then minutes later have three turkeys within 20 feet of you???
I agree with the turkeys eye sight being spectacular, but as far as picking out a hunter up against a tree they fail miserably. They can see colors. I was set-up near Blaze orange ribbon in trees from a logging operstion and they walked right by this stuff pecking away as they went. Movement is the big key here, don't move and they won't know your there. But move a finger/hand at the wrong time and bang, there gone!!