Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Fighting purr??

Old 11-19-2003, 11:32 AM

Default Fighting purr??

How often do any of you use the fighting purr in the fall?
I' m trying to understand how and when to use it. How often? In conjuntion with other calls? etc.
Also, anybody have a preference for a call that produces this sound?
Old 11-19-2003, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fighting purr??

I haven' t used that call in years but mostly because I haven' t been in a situation where I needed it.It is a great call to use if you don' t have a flock broken up.Many times the whole flock will come in just to watch the fight.To make a good soundin fightin purr I' d suggest usin 2 calls at once,Maybe a mouth call and a friction or perhaps a couple of push button type calls.
Old 11-20-2003, 07:33 AM

Thanks Jalvja. The flocks on my land are usually not broken up and I' m trying to figure out how to get them to come in in the fall. I understand that the fighting purr is very good to use in the fall but I don' t hear much about it.
Anybody else have any input? Would a shaker type call be good or is the push button type the best? Thanks
Old 11-20-2003, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is companies that make a double push button call for this reason, QuakerBoy is one of the companies...BT
Old 11-21-2003, 03:09 PM
Typical Buck

Knight & Hale makes a dual call.

Old 11-22-2003, 08:03 AM
Fork Horn

Read the Understanding Turkey Vocalizations, Calling Turkeys and Fall Turkey Calls threads on the T.R.' s Tips board. They should help.

If that aint' enough, ask and you shall receive (answers).

God bless and good hunting,

T.R.
Old 11-23-2003, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

A good friend and great turkey hunter I know uses the fighting purr to get turks to come in. If they' re near, but he' s got limited cover, he' ll set up and see if he can get them to come check out the " fight." Purring with any of the calls mentioned by the other turk-o-maniacs here are good, but even better if you got a wing to add some flapping sounds to the " fight." If you don' t have a wing, try flap your hat a few times. He says it' s worked a few times with henned up gobblers.

Old 11-25-2003, 04:27 PM
Typical Buck

DeerT: Best way I have found to do a reasonable fightin purr: sit back against a tree. Hold a quality slate between your knees and use different strikers in the left and right hands. Purr and putt LOUDLY with both strikers, occasionally stopping to pop LOUD wing beats with canvas cloth against a knee. The technique does not always work, but when it does, hung-up birds can come a runnin' . I watched a knocked down drag out gob fight, and pattern the cadence after what I observed. Of course, you have your hands full of strikers, and not a gun (or bow), so use the technique with a partner. The dual push-pull calls are not near as loud, nor do they have the staying power of a good slate before they need a tune-up. I have tried it as a fall call, but lost calling does the job in the fall for me.
-fsh
Old 11-27-2003, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

DeerT,Like Fshafly I mainly use this call in the spring of the year primarily targeting early season flocks of birds.Unlike most here who imitate gobbler fights with purrs and aggressive putts I target the hens!Hens fight and establish pecking order themselves much the same way heading into the spring breeding season and commonly bicker with one another throughout the year in general.I cant tell you how many times I' ve turned a flock around by setting up a mock fight using my personal preference a peg& slate mouth call combo,a wing,and raking of the leaves !I always throw in a few yelps to the series also and its not even a bad idea to mix in a gobble too.If your able to bring in those hens those ole gobblers will be right behind em...