Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Stupid shipping charges

Old 03-12-2024, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

CI,
TSS is 18% heavier than lead, so 9 TSS penetrates like lead 6's, the thing that struck me as odd is shoot them with TSS and they don't flop, just fall over dead. Yes it is expensive but you take what? 2-3 shots a year, hunt out of state and 6 shots maybe? but its still the cheapest part of the hunt considering gas, license, and everything figured in. Another thing when they come strutting in and you take a frontal shot, the shot completely penetrate the front, so any shot high inn the breast are lodged inn the back if they don't penetrate completely.
Old 03-13-2024, 01:43 AM
Dominant Buck

I believe the Hevi shot is tungsten shot. When I got my SBE 20 years ago I tried dozens of different loads and manufacturers to get the best pattern. The best I could ever get was the Hevi Shot blend in 3 1/2. Gun kicks hard due to the action not being gas operated like many other makes. I had it lazer ported and a custom choke built
it shoots great and is only used for turkey. The gun is lite to carry and operates flawlessly.

Old 03-14-2024, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
I believe the Hevi shot is tungsten shot. When I got my SBE 20 years ago I tried dozens of different loads and manufacturers to get the best pattern. The best I could ever get was the Hevi Shot blend in 3 1/2. Gun kicks hard due to the action not being gas operated like many other makes. I had it lazer ported and a custom choke built
it shoots great and is only used for turkey. The gun is lite to carry and operates flawlessly.
quote from field and stream
TSS pellets are a blend of powdered tungsten and iron, formed by a sintering process that leaves them beautifully round, uniform, and very hard, qualities that help TSS loads pattern with astounding efficiency. Previously, Federal’s Heavyweight was the density champion at 15 g/cc, followed by Hevi-13 at 13 g/cc. Lead, by comparison, weighs 11.3 g/cc. One of the key advantages of increased density is that it allows you to use smaller (and therefore more) pellets—and yet still retain lethal penetration energy. TSS 9s, at 18 g/cc, penetrate slightly deeper into ballistic gelatin at 40 yards than lead 5s.
Old 03-14-2024, 02:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Amazing statistics. #5 were the load of choice when I started turkey hunting. I still have a few boxes from different mfg left over.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 03-14-2024 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-14-2024, 02:48 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I went to a single 410. I am super impressed with the TSS load. Actually as RR quoted. They just drop with no flop!

Jw
Old 03-14-2024, 03:23 PM
Dominant Buck

My pro bass fishing buddy bought his 12 yo daughter a .410 to keep recoil low and was shocked at how lethal it was. He was using tss
Old 03-22-2024, 04:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
I load 20 some different rifle cartridges, I possibly shoot 4 TSS rounds, and a couple boxes of lead loads. So loading shotgun shells is something that would not be worth the time and investment to me
Yes, I get that. I have both rifle and shotgun reloading equipment, but I load my TSS loads by hand. Just need a small scale, cordless drill and a roll crimper.
Old 04-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Spike

Based on the price and shot payload, Boss Tom seems like a better deal. Here's a quick cost comparison:

Boss Tom: $11.00 per box (free shipping over $100)

Verdict/Rogue: $15.20 per box + $22-26 shipping

Even with shipping for a larger Boss Tom order, they likely come out cheaper. However, consider shot size preference and availability. Verdict/Rogue shells may use a tighter shot pattern which could be desirable depending on your hunting situation.