Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Decoys or no Decoys

Old 02-25-2024, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

must be that turkeys are just different, I know in central ky. everyone uses decoys, but I had no trouble killing them there without decoys,, they do act different and you get busted a lot by single hens that come charging the call. When you find a hen with a gobbler in tow, ya just wait till the gobbler comes in following the hen and gets close enough for a shot.

Last edited by Ridge Runner; 02-25-2024 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-29-2024, 02:54 AM
car
Typical Buck

I bought an Avian X HDR Jake decoy this week to add to the 2 Avian hens that I have. See what happens!
Old 03-29-2024, 02:47 PM
Banned

I like a hen decoy to take the gobbler's attention away from me.
Old 04-01-2024, 04:16 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Timbrhuntr
sometimes the best piece of equipment for turkey hunting is a comfy chair but not too comfy! Sucks waking up to putting Tom just leaving because your snort spooked him !
I you sit out in the open, yes the snort will affect the outcome. But I find sitting in my blind I can holler the Gettysburg address with no adverse effects.
It's the human form not the sound.

I screw with every hen or jake(s) that wander in my setups. It teaches me just how much I can get away with.

JW
Old 04-11-2024, 11:32 PM
Spike

Decoys can be a valuable tool for hunters, but knowing when to use them is key. While calling can be effective, decoys offer some distinct advantages. The biggest benefit is their ability to attract animals from farther distances. A realistic decoy can pique an animal's curiosity or trigger its social instincts, drawing it in where your calls alone might not. Additionally, decoys can keep an animal occupied, giving you more time to remain still and hidden for a clean shot. However, remember that successful decoy use requires careful strategy and placement depending on the species you're hunting.