Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Got one Thursday

Old 11-09-2003, 06:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default Got one Thursday

I called in 10 Wednesday during a rain storm but missed the one that came the closest (boy am I glad I did). Went out thursday afternoon with a buddy. We went up a mountain to where he had seen them in the morning. We sat down and called for a little but nothing. So we moved up to the top of the mountain, which became quite flat and open. I told my buddy that this would be a great place to call in a bird in the spring. Well needless to say I figured I would do come calling too see if anything answered on the top or down the sides. I did an assembly call series of yelps and heard nothing in return. My buddy was getting itchy to move so I did one more series before we walked on. Half way thru my series I got three gobbles back at me, YES I said 3 GOBBLERS answering me, and they only sounded like they were about 60 yards from me over the side. I grabbed my buddy and we sat down next to the closest trees. I called again and they gobbles again. I felt as though it was spring all over again. (It' s now 3:00 in the afternoon and kinda warm). I thought man this can' t be happening. I called again and they gobbled about 35 yards from me but still over the side of the mountain. but they were closing in. I called one more time and bang again another gobble (thinking at this time I am dreaming). I could hear them coming they were almost running to get to me. There at 13 yards was the first gobbler, BANG I sropped him, four more flushed and My buddy shot knocking one outta the air, that bird hit the ground running. We looked for about 15 minutes for that bird with no luck. I told my buddy that we would wait for a few more minutes then I would try calling again. I waited about 20 minutes and started calling again, he answered immediately and came running, I had handed my buddy my gun at this point. about 15 yards the gobbler popped his head up over the edge and BANG, he dropped in his tracks. I ran up on the bird and he never moved. I picked him up and saw that he had been the one that he had just shot due to the broken wing which he could not have hit because of the head shot he ahd just made and that was all the was visible. Five gobblers in a flock and we got two of them. What an awesome hunt.
Not the end of the story! We walked back to the cabin and we' re chatting on the porch when I heard yet another bird. I pulled out my mouth calls and started calling him. After about 30 minutes he walked within 20 yards of the cabin. Now it is late in the evening so I just keep calling to him. I made some gobble calls which he answered with a gobble or two. He eventually walked across a road and I heard him fly up. Needless to say I was back there the next morning with another buddy of mine. We set up and almost immediately upon me calling he answered. I worked that bird for 45 minutes minutes til he finally decided No holds barred and ran directly at us in a full sprint. It happened so quickly that my buddy was not ready and tried to move but the bird spied him and off running he went to not be seen again. I know this has been long winded but I thought I would share the Excitement that I had this past week.
http://www.newcarolina.com/E7.jpg here is a pic of it!

Hi My Name is " PAT" and I am a TURKaholic"
Old 11-09-2003, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Got one Thursday

Congrats Pat,Sounds like you had some real excitement.What do you think the odds are that this Spring a big ole longbeard will come in kee-keein lol
Old 11-09-2003, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats, cool story

Hi My Name is " PAT" and I am a TURKaholic"
should read: Hi My Name is " PAT" and I am a doughnut-aholic"
im just kidding
Old 11-09-2003, 07:46 PM
Typical Buck

The way they were gobblin Jalvja I won' t be surprised......
Old 11-10-2003, 12:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on what sounded like a super hunt!!
Old 11-10-2003, 05:10 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-10-2003, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great story!!Congrats to you both!![8D]
Old 11-10-2003, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

If that' s what Fall is like where your are maybe I should change my Spring plans.
Nice job all around. Especially to your bud for " retrieving" that wounded bird.
Old 11-10-2003, 05:04 PM

Congrats Bro I wish I could have been there with you, but april is just around the corner. Then I can see if you really sound like a chicken calling LOL. As I said before Congrats!!!!!!!!
Old 11-11-2003, 03:13 PM

Congrats on the awesome hunt!!

Quick Reply: Got one Thursday

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.