Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

835 Ultra Mag

Old 10-28-2003, 08:04 PM

Default 835 Ultra Mag

I am gearing up for my 2nd Spring turkey hunt (no Fall hunt in Georgia) and I just got a good deal on a Mossberg 835. It' s full camo with a ported barrel and factory choke. I was wondering what has proven to be the best choke for this shotgun? Also, what have you found to be the best shot to use? I know the guns are all different but I would like to have a starting point when I start patterning this gun. I know this was discussed last Spring, but I didn' t pay too much attention to it because I didn' t have the shotgun. Any help would be appreciated. Also, what do you think about this shotgun?
Old 10-28-2003, 08:33 PM

Default RE: 835 Ultra Mag

I bought a used one in camo 2 years ago---put a Simmons 2X scope on it---use a Hastings .685 choke---3.5" Winchester HV Turkey Load No 4 shot. It is a real turkey thumper. I have taken 8 turkeys with it in 2 years---a couple beyond 50 yards.

The down side is that it is heavy and it does not smoothly eject 3.5 inch shells---but I have only needed one shot anyway. From other posts that I have read---I suppose there are better turkey guns---but I am completely happy with my 835 because it has produced great results for me and I would recommend it to anyone.
Old 10-29-2003, 10:27 AM

One other down side---shooting the load that I shoot---it will kick your eyballs out. Not so bad when actually shooting a Tom---but patterning the gun---OOUUCCHH!!!

Read recently in a hunting magazine that it' s recoil is higher than even elephant guns.
Old 10-29-2003, 08:41 PM

I have one of the older models without the ported barrel.In it I use a Star Dot .676 with winchester HV 3.5" #6.It does a fine job but not a GOOD 40 yard pattern.I have heard people say to use Hevi Shot and the Rhino 2" choke.They say it is outstanding.
The only downside is like sour01 says it will knock your shoulder off.
I now have an 1187 Supermag and it shoots better with half the recoil.
Old 10-30-2003, 03:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had one when they first came out many moons ago, but I have since went to a Winchester 1300 instead!!
Now they have the barrels ported, that tell' s you something right there about the recoil, that puppy is a shoulder stomper using those 3 1/2" shells!!!! I would stick with a 3" shell and try either a Kick' s choke tube rated for your gun or a Tru-Glo choke. Check in Midwest supply, they carry a bunch of turkey chokes!!!
Old 10-30-2003, 12:28 PM

I shoot an identical gun. It still has the factory tube and i would shoot it before buying an aftermarket because mine patterns great with 3-1/2" Winchester Turkey loads #4' s. I have taken over 20 turkeys with this setup and have never missed one that was in the 10-40 yard range not many over 35 yds but when i have stretched it i have never failed. that 0-10 yard thing can be different i have missed a couple.........you may ask how but trust me when you are shooting that close it is pretty much a solid bullet coming out there and the turkeys i hunt dont seem to know how to hold there head still enough.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:31 PM

?? do you have tru-glow sights or a scope?? Mine came from the factory with tru-glow sights and they are invaluable for getting dialed in on that last waddle.
Old 11-01-2003, 07:09 PM
Fork Horn

It' s a mighty fine 30 yard turkey gun with the Ulti-Full choke and Winchester Supreme 2oz. 5' s. They say they made it to be a 30 yard gun because of a study done by NWTF on kill ranges on turkeys. I' m happy with mine but am gonna upgrade to a Rhino choke and Nitro ammo. I want that 40 yard range for my South Texas Rio hunt next spring.
Old 11-02-2003, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

sour01 uses the same combination I do. Excellent
Old 11-03-2003, 05:15 PM

Thanks for the great advice!! I have shot with the factory choke and 3" Winchester 6' s. I took most shots at 25 yards because that seems to be the range that I find myself taking shots. (All two of them!) I had a good pattern at this range but I might try the heavy shot and try a few at 30 to 40 yards with the 3 1/2 shells. Any other advice would be appreciated. I priced other shotguns and for the money I can' t say that I am disappointed. By the way, it did come with the tru-glo sights which I failed to mention the last time I posted.

Quick Reply: 835 Ultra Mag

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.