Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Giving it the old college try tomorrow--first time

Old 10-14-2015, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Giving it the old college try tomorrow--first time

An acquaintance of mine wanted to take a crack at a turkey and convinced me to buy a tag.

We'll see what happens... Needless to say, we're short on experience, really good camo, knowledge of calling, etc.

We do have lots of turkeys, though. They swarm our back property.Did a little reading and my buddy says he's found a roost tree. There's another area we see a
Old 10-15-2015, 07:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bring some low-slung chairs, set-up in good cover, and call softly and infrequently.

If you have a upright hen decoy, set it up just off the edge of the tree line in a good opening.

Don't crowd the roost tree............... 100 - 150 yards
Old 10-15-2015, 09:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

And use the call sparingly, be aware because they can sneak up on you before you know they are there.. Most important, do not move or have your head on a swivel, if you move, do it in slow motion.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the tips, guys.

We didn't have any luck today. we may try again tomorrow and I'll put some of your advice to use.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:07 AM
Fork Horn

I know a little about Fall turkey hunting. What you are doing can actually make them run. I know from experience. First, DO NOT use calls or decoys. Turkey are more cautious in the fall. They are not focusing on mating. Because of this, they will not respond to calls or decoys. Second, they will return to the same general area to feed at the exact same time every day. I know from experience also. Third, be patient. Go earlier than when they show up, find a spot where you have a good view of an area, sit down, and DON'T MOVE until they come. For me it took an hour and a half for them to come. Fourth, limit movement and sneak up on them when they show up. They are very cautious in the fall and if they see movement, they may run.

I hope this advice helps!

Jared
Old 10-15-2015, 11:28 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Bring some low-slung chairs, set-up in good cover, and call softly and infrequently.

If you have a upright hen decoy, set it up just off the edge of the tree line in a good opening.

Don't crowd the roost tree............... 100 - 150 yards

Gonna have to agree with this, If you can bust them up you can lost call and kee-kee them right back in. Don't know if i would be sneaking or not. too may eyes in the woods and most turkeys I've delt with dont do movement well. You can move from ridge to ridge, looking for sign and listening for a call. If not make something happen and fire off a series of yelps and see if you get a curtious response. Find em, bust em, and kill em.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

If not make something happen and fire off a series of yelps and see if you get a curtious response. Find em, bust em, and kill em.

We were able to get a bird to respond. We didn't bag it due to a couple of mistakes we made, but are definitely on the right track.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:35 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Father Forkhorn
An acquaintance of mine wanted to take a crack at a turkey and convinced me to buy a tag.

We'll see what happens... Needless to say, we're short on experience, really good camo, knowledge of calling, etc.

We do have lots of turkeys, though. They swarm our back property.Did a little reading and my buddy says he's found a roost tree. There's another area we see a
I plan to do my first Spring 2016 hunt with shotgun. Did you have any lessons learned you would be willing to share? To do and not to do type thing Hope your hunt went well!