Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Minimal space spring tukey hunting. Tactics?

Old 05-06-2015, 08:37 AM
Typical Buck

After this thread I decided to hunt the small field I have access to this morning. The field is surrounded by woods on all 4 sides. It was planted in corn last year. I have access to a strip of woods 20 yards wide on the south edge and also to half the field just to the corners on the south side. I got in late because there was a heavy rain this am and I didn't feel like getting my gear wet. I am hunting with the crossbow so I need them in close. I put out a decoy in the field . Once i was comfy in my chair I started my calling I lit up the woods with lost yelps, kee kees and some cutting. About a half hour later I heard a putt in the swamp behind me I cutt and yelp and a few seconds later five jakes came out I jake yelped at them and they answered with putts and yelps and began to come in. Suddenly I heard another putt from the east in the swamp near the field edge. The jakes stopped stood erect and began to putt. Two big toms entered the field and began to heard to the jakes and a huge fight took place with the jakes running the toms off into the swamp . Then all went quiet. I waited for about 45 minutes and then lit up the woods again. Shortly after I looked up and a lone tom was coming across the field towards the decoy. I lightly putted and purred to him he walked right in and I shot him at 7 yards.

Field edge and corner. I set up just inside the woods against a tree.

Bird where he fell >

Other end of field.

Again good luck with your hunt and I hope you have as much fun and luck as I did.

Also for those that say these are unpressured birds there are 7 others that hunt this field besides me and it gets pressure all season because the other guys have no other spots. The farmer feels bad and allows just about anyone to hunt the area but gives you a side to hunt and you are not to hunt the other sides of the field or he will kick you off. By the way the other guys say I call too much and educate the birds but it is funny that I am the only one that gets a bird here every year ! Plus as a handicap I hunt with a bow and they are all shotgunners !!!! I am not bragging just love to call because it works !
Old 05-07-2015, 05:02 AM
Spike

Default Thanks! Kind of decoy?

Thanks for all the info! I hope this can better help me in hunting them.
Something quick. May not be important at all but what hen decoy should I get? A feeding hen or a upright or what?
Old 05-07-2015, 05:08 AM
Spike

So is this the same place you hunt later on in the morning?
Old 05-07-2015, 09:19 AM
Typical Buck

I have the DSD hens as there are no better kind. I have both the feeder and the upright but find that the upright gets most of the attention for some reason ! I hunt the field at all times I just got there late because it was raining hard early and I didn't want to soak all my gear .