Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

i need predator hunting help

Old 10-08-2003, 10:05 AM

Default i need predator hunting help

A woman who allows me to turkey hunt on her land, recently had her dog attacked by some type of predator according to the vet. I know for a fact that there are foxes and coyotes on her property. She asked me to start hunting them and kill all i could. I have no experience and no idea how to hunt them. I figured i would take a 12 gauge with buckshot and my .243 with me to the woods. Is that acceptable? What type of calls should i buy or decoys?Camoflauge?Scent control? I need help. I would like to do this cheaply but effectively without having to buy an electronic call system. Please give me some feedback guys thanks. I live outside of Boone, NC in the mountains, if terrain is a factor. Thanks ya' ll.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:09 PM

Default RE: i need predator hunting help

Use a mouth call such as a rabbit in distress call. Ive had pretty good luck with those.
Old 10-08-2003, 01:33 PM

drift rider mike- since i turkey hunt on the property and coyotes eat turkeys i think my post belongs on this board. And since you are not a moderator mind your own business if you don' t like what i have written. No one is making you read it. So driftride somewhere else.[8D]
Old 10-08-2003, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

One great thing about boards like this is that I don' t have to mind my own business. My comments were simply said to remind you that you are violating board rules by spamming. If you have a question regarding a certain topic, then it is appropriate to place it in the most relevant forum. Since you' re question most regards calling and hunting COYOTE, then it should have been posted in the Predator forum only. The fact that coyote happen to eat turkey or deer is irrelevant to the act of hunting the coyote themselves.

You are right that I' m not a moderator, but that doesn' t mean that those who aren' t moderators shouldn' t remind violators of the rules so that the moderators do not have to take formal action. It' s called a courtesy, or perhaps " policing ones own" and most level headed people react by politely acknowledging their error. You obviously have an " I' m more important than the rules" attitude, and are rude and inconsiderate.

So, that being said I will " mind my own business" when you decided to follow the rules of this forum. If you' d like I could simply bypass a casual reminder and email the mods and bring to their attention your rules violation, but as it were I was trying to be nice and avoid such action. Like they say, " no good deed goes unpunished."

Mike
Old 10-09-2003, 05:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Guys , the post is running on a fine line as to what forum it should be on. As some have posted I will leave it up. As too who is right here between " wholelottagobble" and " driftrider" well both have points, lets try too get along guys...BT

Old 10-09-2003, 11:12 AM
Fork Horn

" Can' t we all just get along?" - Rodney King
Old 10-10-2003, 03:09 PM

Predator hunting is fun. I' m still a rookie at it but have enjoyed the hunts I have been on. Here are two great pages to give you a headstart....

http://wcp-nm.com/coyotes/ Bill' s Coyote Hunting Page

http://www.varmintal.com/ahunt.htm Varmint Al' s Coyote Hunting Page

Both Bill and Al have a wealth of knowledge on their pages. Even though they might not live in your area the basics are still the same.

As for calls, it' s going to depend on you more then anything. You can use tube, open reed, close reed, mouth calls, hand calls and electric calls. I have a tube, open reed and a closed reed. I like them all but proably use the Lohman Circe more then any. Good luck to ya' .