Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Call to let other hunters know you are there?

Old 04-02-2013, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

I've been lucky enough to hunt with a couple different
folks that were good enough at calling that I'm sure
I would not have been able to tell they weren't the
real thing. I've also heard others that were easy to
tell they weren't real.

I'm lucky enough to hunt an area where hunting pressure is
light enough so that if I see a truck parked I just head to
another spot a couple miles away---because you really can't
tell which side of the road they are hunting on.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've had other hunters come into my calls and other hunters cut me off when calling to a gobbler...A universal call to let them know you are working a bird won't work as they know what they are doing...

After a few years you learn that making that bird gobble is not always a good thing...

I can also tell when it's a hunter calling and not a hen...Most hunters call too loud and too often...
Old 04-02-2013, 12:57 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
I've had other hunters come into my calls and other hunters cut me off when calling to a gobbler...A universal call to let them know you are working a bird won't work as they know what they are doing...

After a few years you learn that making that bird gobble is not always a good thing...

I can also tell when it's a hunter calling and not a hen...Most hunters call too loud and too often...

Someone should have told that hen this morning that she was too loud and too vocal!
Old 04-02-2013, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know Charlie, I can just tell the difference. There is no doubt when someone is using a box call or friction call. Maybe the right person with a mouth call could fool me, but I wouldn't count on it. I once sounded so good I fooled myself.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

There will always be IDIOTS.

I am talking about real ethical hunters. If you are working a bird and here a hunter coming in you do "THE" call to him, lets say bob white 3 times, and he leaves.

Or if you here a bird gobbling and are not sure someone is working him, you do "THE" call to see if its a hunter, if no hunter responds back with "THE" call, then you proceed to work that gobbler.

I know everyone is afraid of scaring off the bird, but if a hunter is coming in on you, he is gonna scare the bird anyway.

John
Old 04-03-2013, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bornagain64
There will always be IDIOTS.

I am talking about real ethical hunters. If you are working a bird and here a hunter coming in you do "THE" call to him, lets say bob white 3 times, and he leaves.

Or if you here a bird gobbling and are not sure someone is working him, you do "THE" call to see if its a hunter, if no hunter responds back with "THE" call, then you proceed to work that gobbler.

I know everyone is afraid of scaring off the bird, but if a hunter is coming in on you, he is gonna scare the bird anyway.

John
It's not as difficult as you're making it though.

"THE" call should be:

"HEY! DON'T SHOOT THIS WAY! I'M OVER HERE! WOULD REALLY RATHER NOT GET SHOT TODAY, I CAN BUY A 20 lb BUTTERBALL FOR 30 BUCKS... CAN'T SAY THIS BIRD IS WORTH DYING OVER. THANKS CHAMP!"

There. Problem solved.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:22 AM
Fork Horn

Bornagain64,

I know what your talking about. Every situation is different
There are times when just plain calling out to the other
Hunter becomes necessary. There are other times when using
A call to alert another sensible hunter to let him know he
Needs to back off is reasonable. Problem is getting everyone
On the same page is apparently impossible. It's not even
Possible to get several people to agree on most issues on
This forum. Then you have the problem of the hunter
That isn't sensible or doesn't really listen or just can't
Hear.

Myself I'll continue to use an owl call or a goose call
Depending on the situation, until it becomes apparent
I need to resort to the human voice.

Happy Hunting
Old 04-03-2013, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by w123t
Bornagain64,

I know what your talking about. Every situation is different
There are times when just plain calling out to the other
Hunter becomes necessary. There are other times when using
A call to alert another sensible hunter to let him know he
Needs to back off is reasonable. Problem is getting everyone
On the same page is apparently impossible. It's not even
Possible to get several people to agree on most issues on
This forum. Then you have the problem of the hunter
That isn't sensible or doesn't really listen or just can't
Hear.

Myself I'll continue to use an owl call or a goose call
Depending on the situation, until it becomes apparent
I need to resort to the human voice.

Happy Hunting
Problem is... you're trying to make an animal call that is somehow code for "Hey, there's a person here."

It's just not reasonable if you ask me.

You don't know the guys in the woods from Adam... how are you going to know if they know enough about wildlife that Geese shouldn't be honking around your area during a specific time period? Or that a specific series of bird calls is supposed to be some kind of mountain man morse code?

If you can tell someone is getting too close, let them know. As I tell my 1.5 year-old nephew... "Use your words."

Even he is getting the hang of it...
Old 04-03-2013, 11:43 AM
Fork Horn

Pyloscide,

As I said every situation is different. What the
Original poster was suggesting was some
Sound that could become generally
Recognized as a warning--- I agree
It probably won't work---to many people
That just aren't with it or sensible etc.

However, I have used the calls I mentioned
Before to clue other hunters in that
We're sensible and listening to my
Location before they got too close.
I have also resorted to the human voice
On other occasions when someone got
To close.

I'm lucky, I live in Maine where we have a lot
Of sensible hunters.

Happy Hunting
Old 04-03-2013, 02:13 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Psylocide
It's not as difficult as you're making it though.

"THE" call should be:

"HEY! DON'T SHOOT THIS WAY! I'M OVER HERE! WOULD REALLY RATHER NOT GET SHOT TODAY, I CAN BUY A 20 lb BUTTERBALL FOR 30 BUCKS... CAN'T SAY THIS BIRD IS WORTH DYING OVER. THANKS CHAMP!"

There. Problem solved.
Okay....At what point do you do this? If you think that the hen sounds coming behind you are from a hunter?(how do you know it's not a hen?)

When you see another hunter?(a little late if you knew he was coming from the get-go.)

Every situation is different. I once had a hunter coming down a ridge to a bird I was working. He was blowing a crow call to get a fix on the bird. As he got closer I turned my head and gave him a YELP......YELP......YELP. I would respond to him this same way every time I heard the crow call. He got the message. I ended up missing the bird but that's another story. He knew someone was working the bird because he knew that hens don't make loud three LOUD yelps with long pauses in between.

Crow calls and owl hoots are very effective ways to let other hunters know you are in the area. Very few (if any) calls can exactly mimic a crow. Rarely (if ever) will you hear an owl hoot at 9am.

Something else I do. Always assume that the hen sounds or crunching leaves behind you are another hunter. If you do see someone coming, give them a whistle or two. If they keep moving then YES, absolutely say something to them.

In a way, everyone is right here.
  • Don't leave your ethics at the truck and bust in hoping to call a bird off another hunter.
  • Be woods wise. Know your territory. Know what sounds you are hearing.
  • If someone walks in on you be sure they know you are there by getting their attention. Sound only. Don't start waving at them.
  • KNOW YOUR TARGET! Most accidents happen because people shoot at movement or what they perceive to be a turkey.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.