Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Beginner Friction call

Old 01-30-2002, 09:21 AM

Default Beginner Friction call

I am new to turkey hunting and am looking to get a friction call. With all of the different surfaces (glass, titanium, slate, etc) I don't really know which would be best to start off with. Any tips or pointers would be appreciated.
Old 01-30-2002, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Beginner Friction call

The first thing i would do is rent some videos on learning how to use friction calls and pick your self up a friction call from walmart or some other sporting good store and start to practic and as you get better and more confident you might pick a better friction call later on.
Old 01-30-2002, 10:19 AM

friction calls are easy to catch on to tru a fool proof box call or a cheap slate like Mr. longbeard said when you master it get a good call
Old 01-30-2002, 11:37 AM

The Sla-Tek Ol' Yeller by Knight and Hale is a great beginner slate call. It is very versatile and does not need any fine tuning.

I agree with the other guys that once you start playing a while then worry about switching to a more custom call.

Safe and Happy Hunting!
My Hunting Page
Old 01-30-2002, 03:34 PM

I think different guys. go ahead and get a good one. then you've not had to buy somthing that you won't use. I bought a cheep one at first. it didn't act like the good ones do. I stomped on it in a fit of rage. I'm gona use the pieces to make one out of a turtle shell !!
I now use the glass one primoes makes , titanium 2000 ? and a alumium(sp) one. That ole yeller is a good one, alot of ppl use it.
The thing about a slate is the strikers. You'll need several different types. I find that fiberglass and red wood (mabe it's rose wood) work best for me. How you hold it makes it make different sounds. I had a mentor. He showed me alot of stuff that I could never get on my own ( like, "boy that sucks"
I kept on trying.
The slate is my favorite call. Its hard to work when holding a gun and impossible to use when the tom is comming in real close. That is when i use a mouth call as a back up. The fun is in learning >.
Old 01-30-2002, 03:55 PM

I'd have to agree that the knight&hale ol'yeller would make a good first call.Heck,its one of my favorite calls and goes with me every time I'm turkey hunting one thing about it though is that the calling surface seems to be prone to cracking I just exchanged my cracked one for a new one and a few people have said they had the same problem,but I still love this call.
Old 01-30-2002, 04:02 PM

What about the friction calls that have multiple surfaces and come with a striker with 4 different tips (M.A.D. 4x4) ?

Edited by - Goldie76 on 01/30/2002 17:08:39
Old 01-30-2002, 04:16 PM

Goldie76: If you wont a good friction call and easy to use than go to a box call. For a first time caller it would be a lot easer for you to carry and use and you don't have to worry if you lose the striker and less peaces to worry about.
Easy to learn too. Try a Lynch box mine has served me well fo over 30 years. Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-30-2002, 04:20 PM

thanks, I was looking into the Lynch Fool-Proof box call. I just didn't like the rubber bands on the outside...didn't look sturdy. Also, I want something that will hold up in the rain.
Old 01-30-2002, 07:42 PM

Goldie, I tried a friends MAD 4x4 and couldn't get any decent sound out of it. If it had been my first call I probably would have given up. Luckily, I've been running slates and other friction calls for a long time so I knew it was the call, not me. The guys that said to get a good call to start with are right. The Ole yeller is a good production call, but you may want to get to a sport show to talk to some good callers and get some tips and possibly buy a good custom call. Good luck, with a little practice you'll do fine.

Quick Reply: Beginner Friction call

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.