Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

HeviShot Magnum Blend

Old 04-22-2012, 09:33 PM
Spike

Default HeviShot Magnum Blend

I have been hearing good things about the HeviShot Magnum Blend shells. I like the idea of having different sizes in the same shell to accommodate different distance scenarios. Has anyone out there used the Magnum Blend yet and what did you think?
Old 04-22-2012, 10:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used it and it works fine. It should out pattern any lead shell from a good choke.

Now that said, the only advantage I see in a duplex load like this vs straight Hevi-13 7's is if you are hunting in a state that doesn't allow pure number 7 shot for turkeys. In that case perhaps the mix of 5's and 6's would make the shell legal. But don't be fooled, the 7's in these loads (and in the custom Nitros as well) are what give you the great patterns and are faaaaar more likely to be the pellets that actually hit the turkey in a lethal spot. The odds that one of the sparce number 5 pellets are going to be what nails the turkey in a lethal spot is very low by the time you get out to 40 yards.

That being the case I shoot either straight 6's or 7's in Hevi-13. I see no reason to ever use denser than lead pellets bigger than 6's. Yes and individual Hevi-13 number 5 pellet would probably still penetrate deeply enough to kill a turkey at 60 yards. But you couldn't get a dense enough pattern to consistently insure a lethal hit with 5's from a whole 3 1/2 inch 12 gauge load of them at 50 or 60 yards much less from the small percentage of them in a duplex load.

I have full confidence in the 7's to 40 yards and you will get amazing patterns from them. If you can get a dense enough pattern from your individual set up the 6's will kill to 50 easy.

Last edited by Todd1700; 04-22-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is one load I have not put time into at all and would like to see some patterns from others. I know I shot an eye opener pattern last night with hevi 13 #6 load in the Ol ladies gun, darn out patterned my own gun

Last edited by Adrian J Hare; 04-23-2012 at 03:25 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:29 PM
Spike

i used them this year and shot my first bird with them and it dropped him
Old 04-23-2012, 03:26 PM
Typical Buck

Its hard to beat the magnum blend, I just wish I could find a turkey to shoot with it
Old 04-23-2012, 03:45 PM
Fork Horn

I bought them this year and they pattern really well! See how they do on a turkey may 1.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:30 AM
Spike

I shot the extended range 3" 5's for several seasons and had no problem dropping birds and at some good ranges, when needed. Last fall I saw the magnum blends and decided to try something new. They patterned pretty darn good on paper and a couple of fall birds heads. So gonna give em a go this season. I shot both those and the federal magnum shok 7's. Not a whole lot of open space for a bird to avoid the pattern with his noggin. If I miss it will be all shooter error.