Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Season Done

Old 04-13-2012, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Season Done

Still have a few weeks left here in Alabama to chase birds, but I am out of "off days". Not a bad season. Called up 3. Bagged two good birds. Passed on one good Tom. Messed up on one - eased too close to the roost (dang it). He was gobbling his brains out. I knew I was close, but I misjudged the distance by about 30-40 yards. I guess because of the breeze and the full foilage .... or me just being a goober! When he shut up, I knew I had goofed up. About 06:25, he putted in the roost and pitched out 180 deg. going away. Oh well.

In general I had to work harder this season than I recall recently. Gobblers were tight lipped. Hens were on nests early. Food plots were 3' high and thick ! Bush-hogged a bunch of the fields this week before I left but too late to do me any good. Maybe will help my buddies later this season.

Two of the areas that had held plenty of good birds these past 10-12 years were a total bust for me this season. Still confounded by that. I found practically no signs of turkeys and heard zero gobblers in this 200-300 acres worth of hardwoods on the northern end of where I can hunt. And I never found a heavily used roosting area along the creek taht is on that end of the property. Hope you folks are having a great season, with more luck coming your way.

Only 6 months until deer archery !!
Old 04-13-2012, 12:11 PM
neb
Typical Buck

Sounds like a great year to me!!!
Old 04-13-2012, 01:37 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

Good going Mojotex!! I'm in Alabama too, and have taken 2. It has been a different kind of season for sure. Turkeys where I'm hunting aren't mak
Old 04-13-2012, 01:45 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by EFH
Good going Mojotex!! I'm in Alabama too, and have taken 2. It has been a different kind of season for sure. Turkeys where I'm hunting aren't mak
Sorry about that! But they aren't gobbling, and are a bugger to hunt now. Know you wish you were still after em!
Old 04-13-2012, 03:16 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds like you had a good year, congrats on your good season
Old 04-15-2012, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good year I would say,congratulations. I'm a little concerned myself about 2 of my areas to hunt,not seeing the large flocks I normally see. Will work hard as you did and pray the Lord blesses the hunt. Bow and Deer two of my favorite things! I here ya Mojotex!
Old 04-17-2012, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you did have a good year! Congrats and hope you can catch some fish while waiting on archery season!
Old 04-18-2012, 08:42 AM
Spike

How many birds are you allowed to shoot during season? Here in Indiana during the spring you are only allowed 1 bearded turkey
Old 04-19-2012, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think there allowed 5 birds... Holly crap... Im happy to take one