Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Best turkey gun?

Old 03-11-2012, 04:02 AM
Fork Horn

Buy American. Mossberg or Remington.

I'd get something that handles 3 1/2" shells, you might not like or need the bigger shells, but if you do decide to shoot them, you have the ability.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Last year I took out an old Ithica that I haven't used in around 20+ years and it worked great for me.. It was an old single shot long tom and it sure did the trick.
(M-66 Super Single) I debated about taking out my Remington 1100 Mag but the old long tom won out..
Old 03-11-2012, 11:55 AM
Fork Horn

Im looking for a semi auto. Somthing I could use on geese to. I have an remington 870 left handed pump. Only takes 3 inch tho. Would like to be able to shoot 3 1/2s.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:10 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Murdy
I agree with the any-gun-will-work sentiment. I picked up a used Benelli Super Nova, camo, 26 inch barrel, with the intention of it someday being my dedicated turkey gun. I debated beteen going with a 24 or 26 inch barrel. To me, the short-barrel thing is overrated. I believe a longer barrel will shoot a better pattern. amd how often is a couple of inches going to make that big of a difference in terms of handling? It is, of course, a trade off, and comes down to personal preferance.

I occasionally use my Marlin Model 55 Goosegun (see in my pic). It has a 36 inch barrel on it that was handed down from my grandpa, who has killed many many turkeys with it. How much you think that long of a barrel is gonna make a difference? I hunted with it last year for one day, and brought home one turkey of 23 pounds, 8 1/2 inch beard, and SIX spurs.

The only problem I've had with it is that the barrel will find and hit every tree you pass while walking through the woods.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:36 PM
Spike

What ever is on a good sale at your dealer.? It's not the gun that counts but the right Choke & ammo.? & the pattern that you get with different loads.? Is more vital than the gun itself.? I personally like my 12 GA. Moss 500 & my Kicks choke.? & my Rem Duplex 4x6 Turkey loads.? All the turkey guns today whatever brand are outstanding,? and priced right,? when on sale.?

Last edited by WOODCHUCKER; 03-13-2012 at 07:39 PM. Reason: spell check
Old 03-14-2012, 04:52 AM
Spike

My personal preference is a Mossberg 935. I have that gun just for turkey hunting and it is my absolute favorite, although it does have quite the kick. I have harvested many turkeys with that gun. I also like the Remington 11-87. My cousin has that gun and I used it a few years ago and it's a great semi-auto gun too
Old 03-14-2012, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

All personal choice all the way. Main issue is what type of action do you prefer? Single shot, pump, semi-auto? Currently use a Winchester 1300 pump, but "IF" I were to ever upgrade down the road, a semi-auto would be my choice now.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

If in your price range you would be hard pressed to beat Browning.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by RyanVT
Im looking for a semi auto. Somthing I could use on geese to. I have an remington 870 left handed pump. Only takes 3 inch tho. Would like to be able to shoot 3 1/2s.
A left handed pump, huh? I didn't realize they were making those these days...lol

That gun will work if you don't get another one, and I have always preferred a pump action, but a good S/A would be nice on my shoulder.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:39 PM
Spike

I use a stoeger m2000 with the smooth bore slug barrel and an undertaker choke kills them dead out to 60 yrds
GE

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.