Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

turkey nest? or just a shady spot

Old 02-24-2012, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default turkey nest? or just a shady spot

I think i found a turkey nest in the early summer.
i was driving my fourwheeler down a long driveway of a abandoned house, when i see what i thought looked like a dove (from a distance) as i get closer it goes into the tall grass, as i look i see a hen rise, as it runs away i see 7-10 chicks running behind her. i stop and look at where the hen was and it was at the base of a small tree (it looked like a apple tree) and there was grass all packed down near the tree and i have a few questions.

1. Do you think its a turkey nest?

2. Because it was nice and shady under the tree could they just have been in the shade hiding from the sun? (i saw them there a few times)

3. Would a hen who had already hatch her chicks return to the nest?

4. Would a hen return to the nest to hatch the next years chicks?
Old 02-25-2012, 01:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

If there were no egg shells there, it wasn't a turkey nest. The hen leads her brood away from the nest site as soon as they can walk.

They were probably resting in the shade.
They do not return to the nest. Too much chance of predation.
Again, due to increased chances of predatation, they never use the same site twice.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:41 AM
Typical Buck

Probably not a nest