Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

I could use a Little Help...

Old 12-13-2011, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I still don't know why you want to get rid of so many turkeys. Really the only way to get rid of a large number of birds other than hunt them is to trap them. You said you have done it once. I would just contact the DWF and have them trap some more and relocate them. The NWTF would probably like that too. They would probably be more than happy to relocate turkeys to areas that populations have become low. I could sure use a few over here. For the second time, where are you located? From the number of turkeys you are talking about, I would say Alabama.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:57 PM
Fork Horn

I am just outside Monroe. Right on the edge of the river.

Seriously, I am in TN. The reason I want to get rid of them is damage and the hazard they cause crossing the road. If you read my last post, you can see the economic impact they have on the people feeding cattle or other livestock. I/we have asked our DNR for help and have had no more response. Time and manpower are a problem and the fact you can't use a canon net for fear of a miss (they are not real dependable) and hitting a house.

You would have to see the situation to understand it. We have had one case of them attacking an elderly man on his way to the mailbox because he did not have any feed.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Then I guess you are in a pickle. Still not a bad problem to have. I hope a few longbeards attack me this Spring. BTW, there are plenty of turkeys over here in Monroe-West Monroe, just not the kind I wish. I do my turkey hunting in Union Parish. I've done some turkey hunting in Tennessee with success in Hardeman, Shelby and Wayne Counties.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:00 PM
Fork Horn

I use to cougar hunt in Monroe. I took a show into the old coliseum there for a few years. That was many years ago. I was raised down around Alexandria and played all over that country. Still get back every now and then to catch specs down on Saline and get me a bag of mudbugs.

First really big buck I ever killed, I killed in the old Cocodrie Swamp before it became a bean field. Weighed 264 field dressed on scales at the locker plant in Ferriday. I was about 16. I am looking at his head, now. Had it remounted several years back.

I do have a way of getting them out of my yard.

Last edited by scribe; 12-14-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:14 PM
JW
Super Moderator

And that was exactly what I was going to suggest. Dog's can do wonders to help move the popuulation.

I am also suprised you don't have a higher coyote problem......

JW
Old 12-14-2011, 04:34 PM
Fork Horn

Solved the coyote problem a few years ago. They ate one of the neighbor's little dogs and that wasnot good.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Still plenty of cougars over here scribe. Still plenty of bruiser bucks in the delta region also.