Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Plucking Turkeys

Old 08-17-2003, 08:57 PM

Default Plucking Turkeys

Hi gang,

My deceased grandmother used to tell how my grandfather could remove feathers from a turkey in a most interesting manner.

Basically, he would hang a turkey upside down and pierce its neck at a certain spot with an ice pick that would make most all of its feathers fall out within a very short period of time (though I can' t recall how long this took).

Has anybody ever heard of this technique before? If so, I' d love to know how/where to do it...

Thanks
Old 08-17-2003, 09:52 PM

Default RE: Plucking Turkeys

If I may make a suggestion?

Why not hang a Turkey upside down and just poke holes all over its neack until it works? Although... Most of us shoot a turkey in the head/neck area... Its a wonder none of us have ever started walking out with a turkey covered in feathers, and ended up at the Truck with a naked bird... [&:]
Old 08-18-2003, 04:07 PM

Default RE: Plucking Turkeys

badgerman,first off welcome to the board.[8D]
second,that is a trick I have never heard befor.if you find out let us all know.
I just skin mine,it' s a lot easer,I usually fry the breast and cook the rest in rice dressing.