Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

2012 Grand Slam Quest

Old 11-22-2011, 02:27 PM
Spike

Default 2012 Grand Slam Quest

Hello everyone i'm new to the site so as my first post i'm asking for some help. I am a die hard turkey hunter and being only 24 my career is on the short side. I have killed turkeys all over the south east from fl to va but have yet to venture out west. That is all going to change this coming spring as I have started planning my grand slam trip of a life time. I will start in Fl where I live and take care of my Osceola then on to NC where I have property to hunt and take care of my Eastern. I am planning as of right now to hit KS next for rios but havent been able to find anyone that would allow me to pay a trespass fee and hunt their property. Not huge on the idea of hunting public land but will if i have to. After KS is NW Nebraska to hunt the white river for mirriams where I have 400 acres lined up. I would love to know if any of you guys on here have any property in KS or know someone that would be willing to lease out their property for 3-4 days. Cant really afford an outfitter but could do around $75 a day as a trespass fee. Would also be more than willing to trade out an osceola hunt here in fl for a rio hunt in KS. Let me know what you guys have or if you have any advice concerning public land that would be great!!!
Old 11-22-2011, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Im starting in Florida this year myself for the grand slam... Good Luck
Old 11-22-2011, 04:36 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by nchunter33
Hello everyone i'm new to the site so as my first post i'm asking for some help. I am a die hard turkey hunter and being only 24 my career is on the short side. I have killed turkeys all over the south east from fl to va but have yet to venture out west. That is all going to change this coming spring as I have started planning my grand slam trip of a life time. I will start in Fl where I live and take care of my Osceola then on to NC where I have property to hunt and take care of my Eastern. I am planning as of right now to hit KS next for rios but havent been able to find anyone that would allow me to pay a trespass fee and hunt their property. Not huge on the idea of hunting public land but will if i have to. After KS is NW Nebraska to hunt the white river for mirriams where I have 400 acres lined up. I would love to know if any of you guys on here have any property in KS or know someone that would be willing to lease out their property for 3-4 days. Cant really afford an outfitter but could do around $75 a day as a trespass fee. Would also be more than willing to trade out an osceola hunt here in fl for a rio hunt in KS. Let me know what you guys have or if you have any advice concerning public land that would be great!!!
Now is the time to start looking in too it. I would be careful in Nebraska they have a lot of hybrids out there, I took a single season Royal Slam last year I looked into Nebraska for my Merriams and found the area I was hunting had a lot of hybrids. Good Luck on your Grand Slam, I'm headed for Mexico this spring to hunt the Ocellated and with any luck record my World Slam.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:36 PM
Spike

Now is the time to start looking in too it. I would be careful in Nebraska they have a lot of hybrids out there, I took a single season Royal Slam last year I looked into Nebraska for my Merriams and found the area I was hunting had a lot of hybrids. Good Luck on your Grand Slam, I'm headed for Mexico this spring to hunt the Ocellated and with any luck record my World Slam.
Good luck on the world slam brother! i'll be in the NW part of nebraska and from what research i've done it looks like the area i'll be in is predominantly mirriams. If you dont mind me asking, do you hunt with outfitters or hunt public land? this is my first big trip and I want to make sure I do it right so any advice you could give would be awesome.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:07 PM
Spike

Arrowmaster where oyu gonna be hunting in FL?
Old 11-23-2011, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by nchunter33
Good luck on the world slam brother! i'll be in the NW part of nebraska and from what research i've done it looks like the area i'll be in is predominantly mirriams. If you dont mind me asking, do you hunt with outfitters or hunt public land? this is my first big trip and I want to make sure I do it right so any advice you could give would be awesome.

I was drawn for the Gould in Arizona, that was all public land the Merriam's I ended up getting in New Mexico on public land by myself the Rio Grande I hunted on a private ranch in Texas but I was on my own, the Osecola I hunted on private land in the Green swamp area of Florida the first two days, I hunted with the land owner the 3rd day I was on my own and got my bird. The Eastern I had to have a guide and was a guest on a non paid hunt on a plantation near Thomasville GA that was the only bird I did not call in.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:57 AM
Spike

Thats awesome man, I used to live in Lakeland and hunted the green swamp many many times and have killed some super long spurred turkeys out of there. any time your in Fl feel free to give me a shout and come kill another osceola or eastern. The 2 i killed last season both were 1 1/2" or better and we have TONS of birds for Fl.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

I will be hunting Levy county in Florida
Old 11-24-2011, 12:57 PM
Spike

yea man levy county is about 45 minutes from me. i'm in union just 2 counties over right on the alachua county line.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

Sweet. If ya want to talk some turkey when Im down there we can meet. Im always up for meeting another HNI member. And also dont forget to sign up for our spring turkey hunting contest for 2012. Im so ready to turkey hunt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.