Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Lets have a Poll!

Old 08-15-2003, 05:17 PM

Default Lets have a Poll!

Ok, I know it' s been brought up before, but since it' s the " Off-Season" for us Turkey Hunters, I figured we might do it again...

What type of call do you prefer?

What Brand is it?

What Model is it?

Do you use any specific techniques with this call that you wouldnt mind sharing?

Call Type - Slate

Brand - Knight & Hale

Model - Ol' Yeller Sla-Tec

Techniques - I' ve been working on Purring, I' ve found it to be one of the most effective calls where I hunt.

I' ll Cluck a couple of times, then purr for maybe 15 seconds, scratch around in the leaves beside me, and then shut up for 15 - 20 minutes. Seems to work really well here in Washington
!
[:-]
Old 08-15-2003, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lets have a Poll!

I' ve had my best luck with a cheap box call by Hunter Specialties (I think, green camo w/ plastic bottom). Gives much better sound that a more expensive box call I have and it always gives of a good sound the turkeys really seem to like (including THIS bird I shot this spring). Mouth calls seem to give me the wrong cluck or purr some times but I have a few of them too (don' t know the name) that I use for soft little noises or as a backup for the box call to make it sound like more than one hen when calling. That seems to work well too, mouth call and box call at the same time, like a freakin' harem of love-sick hens!
Old 08-15-2003, 05:54 PM

Call type: Aluminum friction call

Maker: H.S. Strut

Model: Black Magic

Techniques: This call makes great cuts and excellent yelps with a rosewood striker. I' ve taken several gobblers over the last few years using only this particular call. It is a simple and inexpensive call, great for a beginner or veteran turkey hunter.

Next spring, I plan on stepping up to an American Friction Alumaglass aluminum call. I bought one of their boat paddle calls this past spring and if the aluminum call is half as good as their box, then it will be something to behold!
Old 08-15-2003, 07:42 PM

Same call as Washington Hunter, this is my first year turkey hunting so I am not too good with it yet, got alot of birds to gobble this spring, and brought one within range. I guess I am doing alright with it, but next year I will be much better.
Old 08-16-2003, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

maker and call- knight and hale' s power cyrstal with the purple heart striker of course

i really like the call....i have used it every year i have hunted but the first, i yelp once in awhile, but i mainly cluck and purr......just enough to let them know that Ma is waitin...this year i have a new call that a friend had made for me, it' s glass and slate, with a purple heart and a canary wood striker...gives the power crystal a run for it' s money for sure...........
Old 08-16-2003, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

Call type: Diaphragm

Model: Split V

Techniques: I like to yelp and cluck. I' ll also add in some scratchings attempting to sound like a hen feeding.

Old 08-16-2003, 01:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Call Type- Glass on Top, Slate on bottom

Brand-River Valley Game Calls

Model- MOJO

Technique- Soft tree yelps, fly down cackle, to the most realistic hen yelps...cutting and exceptional purrs on the glass and the slate sides. For a visual, go to www.rivervalleygamecalls.com
Old 08-16-2003, 01:41 PM

scratch box call. maker ; myslef.
Makes real yelps , clucks , and purrs that sounds like a real hen to me and some 40 to 50 longbeards over the years.
Old 08-17-2003, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

type....diaphragm

brand..H-Specialties

model..splitV3 or doublecutt3

techniques...i can reproduce about all turkey talk on these 2 calls and the key is finding what approach to take on any given bird.His reactions/responses to my calling tells me what i need to do!Once I can establish that and a correct set-up its all a matter of time till he shows up!!

Old 08-18-2003, 03:29 PM

quaker boy
hecklin hen
it has done wonders for me the last ywo years it makes excellent yelps purrs and cutts

Quick Reply: Lets have a Poll!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.