Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

n.central Kansas diy 2012

Old 09-25-2011, 10:34 AM
Spike

Default n.central Kansas diy 2012

Thinking about giving it a shot to complete my slam. Got some info from a contact that deer hunts in this area but doesn't turkey hunt. I told him I don't want his big deer, just one of his birds Anyone have any advice for first timer going around the Mankato area? I know it's early to be thinking spring gobbler with deer season upon us but I figured I would get started. Would like to find a Rio although I've heard that there are possible hybrids in that area. How was the hatch in that area this spring? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-26-2011, 01:57 AM
Fork Horn

I hunted near Marysville last year, which looks to be about 50 miles away, I'd go back in a heart-beat. You should have a great trip.

I'm no turkey biology expert, but I'd say most of the birds we saw or shot were hybrid Eastern/Rios, it may be a little different where you are hunting.

There were a ton of birds in the area, I hunted this year late April. It's way different than the hunting we do here in PA, the birds were mostly in mixed flocks, anywhere from 10-30 birds in a flock, usually hens leading & gobblers following. The gobblers were usually fanned the whole time. It's mostly open country, so finding the flocks wasn't very difficult. Most of the time, if you can find a creek with cottonwood trees, you've found the roost site. Don't forget your binoculars!

The birds I hunted weren't real responsive to calling, and the wind seemed to be blowing the whole time I hunted. We did better finding their travel pattern & ambushing them. I'd try using a pop-up blind if you have access to one, not a lot of woodlots to set up in where I hunted. If you're up to it, I'd stay out all day, we killed as many birds in the afternoon as we did in the morning.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Uncle Nicky; 09-26-2011 at 05:13 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-26-2011, 04:12 PM
Spike

Thanks Nick, it's always a little nerving to go to a new place and just wing it so I appreciate any help I can get. I got my Meriams in SD by doing just that and it worked out fine and I'm hoping this will be the same. I've chased these critters with a passion for as long as I can remember and have just recently been able to truly set out to complete the slam. This would be the last one I need and then I may set out to finally get that bull elk as the next adventure
Old 10-01-2011, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, if a pure Rio is what you're after, then Mankato is a pretty safe bet.

Not sure if this will help you much, but here's Kansas Dept. of Wildlife and Park's "approximate" turkey species distribution map (I pasted the link to the map beneath the pic, in case the pic doesn't show up):

http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/Hunting/...tion-in-Kansas

Mankato is about smack dab in the middle of Jewell County. Jewell County is one county WEST of where the dividing line between Units 2 and 3 meets the norther border (again, the link is beneath the pic, in case the pic doesn't display):

http://www.censusfinder.com/mapks.htm

Mankato is about 2 counties over from where KDWP claims the hybrid line runs. That's not to say it isn't possible that there will be some hybrids in the area, but it's not likely.

Marysville is actually about 90mi away over on 36 hwy in Marshall Co. Marshall is the 3rd county to the east of Jewell along the norther border. In the distribution map, the dividing line between the brown and green passes through Marshall Co, almost directly through Marysville. That green hybrid territory marks pretty distinct changes in habitat across Kansas, with the hybrids mostly falling within the Flint Hills. Almost ALL of what you'll see in the Flint Hills will be hybrids, but 25-50mi to either side, you'll be pretty well cut out into pure Rio or pure Eastern territory.

I hunted in Washington Co about 5yrs ago with a friend (2 counties east of Jewell, northern border, where the green hybrid borders the pure rio territory) as well as Cloud Co off and on for the last 10yrs (immediately south east of Jewell Co) and have never seen a hybrid in those areas.

That may have changed with the weather patterns we've had the last few years, but I'd be surprised if you run into hybrids there.

If you're hunting on a controlled ranch, that's a whole different story, then I'd say bet on shooting whatever species he's breeding...

Last edited by Nomercy448; 10-01-2011 at 09:17 AM.