Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey Habitat Help!

Old 09-23-2011, 08:27 AM
Spike

Default Turkey Habitat Help!

Hello fellow hunters,

I need your help; this year is my first time Turkey Hunting and I would appreciate any advice on Turkey Habitat.

I have no experience on hunting Turkeys and would appreciate your advice...

I am using the map located at www.michigan.gov/hap and the Interactive map at: http://www.mcgi.state.mi.us/mi-hunt/ to help me identify the best place to hunt Turkey.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

-Marvin
Old 09-23-2011, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

they all need four basic things for survival.

Open grass areas - wild turkey need open areas in which to feed, carry on breeding and in which to nest. These open grassy areas need not be large, preferably they should be surrounded by woods.

Water - As with all animals the turkey needs water sources to survive, this water can come from streams, brooks, ponds, lakes and puddles, or it can come merely from the food that they eat.

Trees - Turkeys choose to roost high off the ground in order to elude predators. Large cut over areas of land usually do not hold many if any wild turkey, why? They have all been preyed upon by coyote and fox, among many other predators.

Food - The wild turkey again is an extremely adaptive bird, they generally will eat anything that is available, be it insects, grain, berries or nuts.

If you find an area that has all three of the wild turkeys key needs in close proximity, it is definitely a place that deserves a second look come hunting season.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:46 PM
Spike

Thank you Huntnma,

I will consider these characteristics when plotting my next Turkey Hunt outing.

I appreciate your help!

-Marvin
Old 09-25-2011, 02:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your welcome.....