Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

H & r

Old 08-29-2011, 10:42 AM
Spike

Default H & r

I currently have a H & R 45/70 that I'm planning to send in to be fitted for another rifle barrel. I'm thinking of also getting a 12ga shotgun barrel for turkey hunting. Should I get the 24" or 28", it also comes threaded for choketubes. Should I get H&R's are an aftermarket choketube?

Thanks
Old 08-29-2011, 11:35 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I like the shorter barrel - lighter wt., easier to carry, easier to swing, less chance of getting hung on brush. 4 inches shorter really does make a deifference.

My current barrel length is 20 inches - 21 with extended hasting choke tube and I have it patterned to 55 yards if needed - but true turkey hunting is calling the bird up close less than 20 yards.

JW
Old 09-01-2011, 04:09 AM
Typical Buck

I use a 26 inch barrel, in theory, the extra length gives the shot more time to stabilize and results in better patterns. The modern trend has been toward shorter, though, for the reasons JW states.
As for chokes, you just have to try a few and see what you are getting out of them. All guns are a little different, so stock advice is usually not worthwile.
Good Luck.