Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Their Everywhere

Old 08-16-2011, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Smile Their Everywhere

I'm not sure what brought all the Turkeys out this past Saturday morning but I saw huge flocks of them out in the fields this weekend. It was about 60 degrees and sunshine and it seemed to be a day when the Turkeys and Deer wanted to be in the fields for the early morning hours in force. I had not seen large flocks out in quite some time during the high heat of late. Also we had a whale of a storm pass through here that night which they may have sensed was coming and decided to eat extra food for the down time the storm would bring. What ever the reason I enjoyed seeing all the game in the open and had a good day in the woods and I'm looking forward to a good fall season hunting both these awesome creatures.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

i believe animals can sense the weather change.
i also believe the animals are out all the time, but graze like a farmer plows...
bow hunting one year, i noticed that the deer would be over in an area, so i would go over there, and the next day they be a lil further..so i moved..and so on..
then it was like they started over...so i had 3 days left...so i didnt go to where i thought they would be in the mornin, i went and set up at the spot i thought they would be at in 2 days....sure enough..mornin came, still out of range..but went right through the area i had thought they might go to...the next mornin..whamo...taxed that azz...was a lil deer... but still the pattern paid off...
maybe put a cam up there and see when they roll back through.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:28 PM
Typical Buck

Wish we lived closer doetrain - so you could give me a call n say "come check this out!" LOL

I've seen a few - but not many...

Kim
Old 08-25-2011, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Turkey Goddess
Wish we lived closer doetrain - so you could give me a call n say "come check this out!" LOL

I've seen a few - but not many...

Kim
I wish I could say it was like this everyday when it is cool,but it isn't. But I enjoy seeing the various types of game active when I'm out checking on my sites it gives you encouragement come hunting season. Did you get a bird this year TG?
Old 08-25-2011, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
i believe animals can sense the weather change.
i also believe the animals are out all the time, but graze like a farmer plows...
bow hunting one year, i noticed that the deer would be over in an area, so i would go over there, and the next day they be a lil further..so i moved..and so on..
then it was like they started over...so i had 3 days left...so i didnt go to where i thought they would be in the mornin, i went and set up at the spot i thought they would be at in 2 days....sure enough..mornin came, still out of range..but went right through the area i had thought they might go to...the next mornin..whamo...taxed that azz...was a lil deer... but still the pattern paid off...
maybe put a cam up there and see when they roll back through.
I know what you mean Halfbaked,it does seem like they do as you said at times and if you move with them it may increase your chances.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:00 AM
Typical Buck

No, I didn't. I got close twice, but both times the turkey got spooked before I could see him. Once I believe by a coyote and the 2nd time when my husband shot his turkey. Both times I had the barrel up, safety off and heart pounding out of my chest. LOL I knew they were close, because I had called them in. Twice last spring I called coyotes in - guess they thought I was a dinner bell! The first one, he was behind the barn and took off flying - he was close enough I could have shot him if the barn hadn't been there. I heard him take off flying and then I saw him. He was a big one too. I know I didn't spook him - so that's why I think it must've been a coyote.

I love the chase - can't wait for it to begin again!!!!

Kim
Old 09-04-2011, 08:00 AM
Typical Buck

No, I didn't. I got close twice, but both times the turkey got spooked before I could see him. Once I believe by a coyote and the 2nd time when my husband shot his turkey. Both times I had the barrel up, safety off and heart pounding out of my chest. LOL I knew they were close, because I had called them in. Twice last spring I called coyotes in - guess they thought I was a dinner bell! The first one, he was behind the barn and took off flying - he was close enough I could have shot him if the barn hadn't been there. I heard him take off flying and then I saw him. He was a big one too. I know I didn't spook him - so that's why I think it must've been a coyote.

Kim
Old 09-04-2011, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Kim
I know sooner or later my beginners luck will come to an end with Deer and Turkey hunting because of my own lack of skill and luck for reasons like your situation this year. I was calling in a nice bird about a week before I got mine when 5 kids on 4 wheelers came zooming into the field where I was and spooked the bird away. I thought it was going to be a lost cause at times but stayed at it just as I know you did. It's tough to sit there for hours working birds only to be frustrated by them not coming in after your best efforts. Did you post your husbands Bird or did he under a name I don't know? Good luck this fall if you get the chace to get out there.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:16 PM
Typical Buck

His bird was posted on here! Here is the link to the contest thread: (His name is deer_tracks)

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2011...e-krew-17.html

Oh ya - I'll be out there this fall. How about you??? It's tough losing out on the bird, but if it was easy - I wouldn't be interested in it. I had a new spot this spring that ended up being in the path of some 4-wheelers. Was pretty irritating. High's - Low's - I love it all!!!! I will never stop chasing those feathery villans! LOL

Kim
Old 09-09-2011, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

His bird was posted on here! Here is the link to the contest thread: (His name is deer_tracks)

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2011...e-krew-17.html

Oh ya - I'll be out there this fall. How about you??? It's tough losing out on the bird, but if it was easy - I wouldn't be interested in it. I had a new spot this spring that ended up being in the path of some 4-wheelers. Was pretty irritating. High's - Low's - I love it all!!!! I will never stop chasing those feathery villans! LOL

Kim
Dang TG he got a good one! Super beard,nice spurs,good weight,all around a really nice bird. So sorry to hear you did'nt get one it is such a thrill calling one in or just sneaking up on one like I did this year. The Hubby needs to put you on one this fall so you can close out the year with a bang and a bird! I just purchased my fall deer and turkey licenses so part of my pre- season ritual is complete. I really want to nail a turkey to the ground with my bow this fall and get the first one this way.It can be a hen or a Tom I don't care as long as they have some meat on them. Take Care! And Good Hunting!