Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Thought this was.....

Old 08-06-2003, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Thought this was.....

pretty sound advice,especially the last statement!!

Concealment is Key......
Blending in with nature is key anytime you enter the woods to hunt, particularly for turkeys. When choosing a camouflage pattern to match the terrain you' ll be hunting, pay special attention to the time of year you' ll be in the woods.

For early spring, choose patterns heavy with grays and browns as the woods will still be drab from winter. Maybe even mix-match your pattern choosing a gray one to match the trunk of the tree you will be sitting against and brown pants to match the leaf litter on the forest floor. Once leaf-out begins, switch to a greener camouflage to match the spring colors.

In the fall, do just the reverse, perhaps even throwing in a camo pattern with yellowish and reddish hues to blend with the brilliance of the changing leaves. And above all, always remember that the best camouflage is a total lack of movement. So sit still!

Old 08-06-2003, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Thought this was.....

Bob very good advice my friend...BT
Old 08-06-2003, 06:30 PM

Great advice, and while we are on the subject of camo, what does everyone think the best camo pattern for spring hunting is?
Old 08-06-2003, 08:28 PM

Well, I can' t justify paying out the money for umpteen different camo outfits to match the changing conditions. So I just stick with the Realtree Hardwoods stuff for the turkeys around here. I' ll have to agree with you Bob on the subject of sitting still. That' s probably the best concealment going regardless of the camo you wear!
Old 08-08-2003, 10:52 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-08-2003, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the board dr_t!!Good advice especially in those high pressure public zones!!!
Old 08-08-2003, 04:05 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-09-2003, 10:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Bogobble2, I have quams about that information. Even in the greenest enviroments, I wear ASAT... www.asatcamo.com especially the 3D wear and I never felt more concealed, even with the keen eyed PA Eastern wild turkey. While your right about movement, even in the 3D wear I am suprised about the little movement I can get away with because the breaking ability of the leafy wear. If green were so good, " why did God make make all predator/prey animals brown, black and tan" ?

While your advise is good, it lacks scientific facts. In the greenest springs, I have turkeys in tight wearing ASAt which has absolutley no green in it' s pattern but will actually reflect the green around it.

All of todays camoflauge companies are creating camo that appeals to the human eye. I' m not hunting humans.....ASAT is as close to invisible to game animals and birds as a human can get, period. That' s one reason our troops rely on it to save thier own lives...how many troops do you see wearing Realtree, Mossy Oak or others.......

JMHO.
Old 08-09-2003, 05:32 PM

Thanks for the info, I use Mossy Oak Break-Up all year round..I have pants in new break up, then a jacket in OLD break up...before regular break up, its old, my dad' s from the late 80' s early 90' s. Still really dark too.

slayer
Old 08-10-2003, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rob,you make some very valid points and no question ASAT' s direction in camoflauge is one of many I believe to be effective in the woods.I' ve been huntin turks specific for over 25 years and have wore at one time or another greys,browns,tans,greens,in a variety of styles and patterns,and have had many a gobbler as well as alot of other game in tight as well.All these company' s strive to create that 3D effect,by mix-matching colors to there overall enviroment.Some try in recreating there own enviroment by copying sticks,limbs,trunks,foilage,in a variety of patterns,colors,and styles, ASAT on the other hand uses broader patterns in a lighter tone.All of these manufacturers overall intent is to accomplish one thing and thats to break-up the human outline.To much of this thrown into together does create a dark blob as you move further away.And that is where ASAT can shine plus the fact it is an all season pattern.Scientific or not I use what works from my own personal experiences in the field and I do believe in todays modern world of camo technolgy ASAT as well as some other company' s are producing some fine products that do a great job of fooling the receptors in our quarry' s eyes by breaking up the human outline.
With all thats been said I still believe after hunting a # of species in the wild the best camo in the world is the ability to sit still.You mention quail,pheasants,grouse,deer,and other game,in most situations that is there #1 and only defense against predators there own ability to remain motionless,and they continue to survive in a eat and be eaten world.I know for a fact that I have walked by game before because I' ve looked right through them because of there ability to blend in and remain still. Obviously we cant expect to wear a solid color to the woods sit still and think we' re concealed but couple a good camo wardrobe with the ability to remain motionless and to me thats the ultimate concealment in the wild woods..

Quick Reply: Thought this was.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.