Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Concerned for my grandfather, please help!

Old 04-22-2011, 03:56 AM
Spike

Cool Concerned for my grandfather, please help!

Hey guys,
With turkey season coming around I'm getting excited but also nervous. I have a 67 year old grandfather who loves the sport and can not get enough. He's in good shape for his age but I get worried when we're trekking up te mountain for turkeys. His getting old and in worried about a sudden heart attack while hiking up these mountains. As a stubborn old man he doesn't listen when I tell him to take it easy. He simply loves the sport. If something should happen, what should I do during the scenario?
Old 04-22-2011, 03:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Nature has a way of telling an old person when they can't do something. Just the fact that he is active and in shape and still going the distance makes me feel that he is doing it right. Don't worry for him learn from him. Getting up early and climbing mountains is much better for an old timer than sitting on the couch and watching the tube. Hats off to your gramps.

I have to add that I'm 62 and also in good shape. I have a neighbor and friend who spends all day hanging around the house and always tells me it is wrong for me to go elk hunting DIY and that I am asking for a heart attack because I always pack out the elk rather than hire a team of horses. Embrace the fact that your grandfather is in the right side of this issue.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 04-22-2011 at 04:03 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:13 AM
Spike

Have him keep aspirin in his turkey vest just incase. It is said to help if taken at the first sign of a heart attack. You may also try to make sure he doesn't hunt alone. I can understand stubborn, but he needs to know that others are concerned and want to see him hang around for a while to come. Good luck.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I go outwest with a friend whose 67 yrs old this yr. Were from NY, so 9-11,000 ft is a huge challenge. He has bad knee's, and feet. Had several surgeries to repair them. But he has the will, and desire to keep at it. Enjoy those days, just carry a cell phone, and first aid. Its all you can do. Better they do that, then sit in a darn chair all time wasting away!!
Old 04-22-2011, 12:40 PM
Fork Horn

I'm 64 and in good health. I was hunting last weekend and had some walking to do to get back to camp. I had a 12 guage, 40 lb back pack a turkey vest, loaded down , and a 16 lb bird. I walked 3 miles, and not even tired. Did another 2 mile hike the next day, no prob. I guess It depends on the person and how active they are.
Attached Thumbnails Concerned for my grandfather, please help!-007.jpg   Concerned for my grandfather, please help!-012.jpg