Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Youth Hunt Weekends

Old 04-19-2011, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lightbulb Youth Hunt Weekends

I'm really looking forward to taking a young person out for the Indiana youth hunt this weekend,they get 2 days to get a Turkey before us. The only thing that concerns me is when over anxious adults buy the kid a license and then drag them along so they can get first chance at a Turkey they have scouted out over the past few weeks.
Do I know anyone who has ever done this? No I don't, but the thought of guys doing this gives me the same feeling I get when a poacher is loose in the area taking game illegally.
If you know of anyone who does this have a talk with them and encourage them not to even consider it for obvious reasons. When people try to get over on the system set in place to govern our sport of hunting often times someone gets hurt.
If a person will bend the rules for such hunts they would probably be willing to be careless and thoughtless when shooting at the game they are not suppose to be hunting anyway.
I hope I'm wrong about this and that no adult has ever used their son or daughters youth hunt for their own just to get first chance at a big Tom. I personally don't want a Turkey that bad or any other game for that matter and if I did I would cease to be a Hunter and become a Poacher instead.
After hearing about people doing this in my area I thought it would be good to address it on this forum just in case anyone is tempted to do it this season or any other season of the year.
Stay legal and be safe out there everyone.