Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Do you really need a camo shotgun?

Old 03-28-2011, 10:40 AM
Spike

Default Do you really need a camo shotgun?

Now I know alot of turkey hunters use camo shotguns and I know some use all black synthetic. But I have an Old Winchester 1300 20ga. i have used for turkey hunting before but I always put a gun sock over it or use No-mar camo tape. Its a black/blued barrel with wood stock and fore-end. And I was just wondering do I really need to camo my shotgun or would it be fine the way it is? I know black synthetic stocks are differant from camo but in the shade its prolly really hard to tell to the turkey so I'm just wondering some insight on this thanks in advance!
Old 03-28-2011, 11:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default nope

Nope... a camo gun isnt needed. Mind you now, I do think it helps, but definately not needed. I believe its more a marketing gimmic to get us to spend more $$ than anything else.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:10 AM
Typical Buck

keep still and you're fine. Camo looks cool but not necessary IMO
Old 03-28-2011, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought some of the camo tape and made my own,it peels right off with no problem. I only use it from the breach to the end of the choke because the butt is covered up. I think as has been said if you keep still thats what really matters.
I must admit I was glad I used the camo tape because the two birds I had a chance at came in real close to me at 10' and 8 feet,so the extra camo did not hurt a bit.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:37 AM
Spike

mmmm I might try it with out it if I dont like it I might just stick with the No-mar tape again thanks for the input and the advise
Old 03-28-2011, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nope, not really needed. Turkeys usually bust you because of movement or glare.

Having said that I dont think it hurts at all......all but one of my turkey guns are camo.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

The idea of a camo gun or clothing for that fact is a couple things and as the guys have said Camo helps blending into the woods, blending into the woods helps mask movements as most turkey hunters will have some movement at some point whether it is just a simple light swing to the right or left with the gun to get on a gobbler that is moving the wrong way.

Is it something that can be done without, well this is a question you need to ask yourself and figure how bad do you want to be successful this spring because everything that helps a hunter in the woods is one point greater to success and could have you walking out of the woods with a used tag and a gobbler over the shoulder.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:52 PM
Spike

It's a marketing gimmick. I've been turkey hunting for 10 years now and not once have I been busted for not having a camo gun. The only time they've seen it is when they see the flash from the barrel for the briefest of nanoseconds.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:16 PM
Typical Buck

Nope but I love mine!
Old 03-28-2011, 01:21 PM
j76
Typical Buck

Do you use a camo gun to hunt deer??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.