Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

vest or fanny??

Old 07-26-2003, 08:41 PM

Default vest or fanny??

I am farely new to turkey hunting and was wondering if people prefer vests or fannypacks when hunting. I will need to store shells, calls, decoys, spare clothes, and rain gear....what would you recommend. Keep in mind that the fanny pack I would buy is Redhead' s Ultimate Fannypack(very large.)
Old 07-26-2003, 10:07 PM

Default RE: vest or fanny??

I use a gobbler elite vest. like 16 pockets for all the turkey stuff.an extra large gamd bag.
it is a real vest ; not just a pouch with straps across the sholders.thisis like a jacket without sleeves.very comfortiable.[:-].

just what I use ; there are a lot out there.
Old 07-26-2003, 10:26 PM
Typical Buck

I wear a Whitewater Outdoors Turkey Vest. It has worked very well for me..Keeps the calls where ya need them....Plenty of pockets and also a large game bag.
Old 07-27-2003, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mossy,I carry both to the turkey woods.Gobbler Elite here also as well as Fieldlines thighpack,fanny,with a extra buttseat attached to my belt!Its a system I' m quite comfortable with knowing exactly which pocket holds what,finding no problem what I need even in low light and dark circumstances!
Old 07-27-2003, 08:22 AM
Typical Buck

A vest for me. However when the day comes to lighten up and pack less stuff, i' ll go with a fanny pack.
Old 07-27-2003, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

i used to carry everything in a backpack, but i was just bringing way too much, so now it' s a fanny pack most of the time...water , 2 different calls and maybe a granola bar,a compass and a knife........during deer season, it' s totally different, i' m out there form dark to dark most days , i have everything and then some
Old 07-27-2003, 07:32 PM

Until this past spring, I had always used a fanny pack. This year, I bought a Mossy Oak Super Elite II vest and I think it is fantastic. Don' t know how I got along all those years without it now!
Old 07-27-2003, 08:11 PM

I' d go for the vest, I used a fanny for years hunting, all game and my back would be killing me around noon. A vest let' s you carry more(which you will in time) and a vest will displace the weight more evenly and let your shoulders(bone structure) carry the weight rather then your lower back muscles. My 2 cents
Old 07-28-2003, 08:03 AM

I think I must pack the most of everyone on this site, as I wear a Mossy Oak Super Elite vest and carry a Cabela' s Whitetail backpack, about 2300 cubic inches, and it is full. I bring morning breakfast, midmorning snack, noon lunch and midafternoon snack, including coffee in a thermos, pop and water. I carry my raingear most days. I layer and as I dress down, I pack the excess clothes in the backpack. My vest has a foam cushion, but I also bring a thermal beaded cushion and a web seat with folding legs (or two if I' m with another hunter), as I put the vest cushion against the tree so my back doesn' t get too sore. I sit on the beaded cushion on the web seat. I also often carry my laser rangefinder in my backpack, plus sometimes I bring a camcorder. I carry a cell phone and a GPS in Buddylock pouches on the straps of my backpack.

Needless to say, my vest is also full of calls and tools, such as a ratchet style pruning clipper, a folding saw, nail clippers, maps, multi-tool, shells, face
mask, orange turkey bag, headlamp, camo gloves, turkey decoys and stakes and more.

I generally go into the woods at 5:00 a.m., and don' t come out until half an hour after dark, unless I get a turkey, so I carry everything I can think I might need for the day (including TP). I also confess that I am a gearhead.

So, to me, a vest AND a fannypack is not enough!!!

Old 07-29-2003, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another Mossy Oak 20-pocket vest man here as well!!

Quick Reply: vest or fanny??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.