Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

To sit or to move, what moves you......

Old 07-20-2003, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default To sit or to move, what moves you......

to make these 2 decisions in the turkey woods ???Thought this might be an interesting topic to get some insight on what would make you move or stay put in working a springtime gobbler!Right decisions in the turkey woods more often times than not spell the difference between success and going home empty handed!Situations always present themselves through the course of a days hunt and how we handle them have a great impact on our hunt relative to success!Seems like every hunt I' m on there comes a time when I either make the decision to stay put in working a gobbler or move!Patience can be tested on a difficult gobbler what makes you move or stay put???
Old 07-21-2003, 09:05 AM

Default RE: To sit or to move, what moves you......

Great question...

Usually I have this battle with myself over move or not move. But ultimately, I let the bird determine that. If Ive got a bird working and he is making progress, Ill stay no matter what. If he goes silent on me, Ill wait a long time and reduce my calling to a minimum. Experience tells me that silence comes from a number of factors, not limited to 1) he found a hen, 2) He is moving but just quiet, 3) something spooked him.

Ive had so many birds come in quiet that the time i go quiet waiting has often paid off with birds I wan' t even aware of.

But...no doubt, I move when the urge gets to great and have stood up only to spook a gobbler watching me...
Old 07-21-2003, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bob , it is a good question,

I just wonder how many silent birds I bump when I do move ! I like a good hangup, a bird that creats a Strut Zone and as the bird works it for that hen , I will make a move for sure ...BT
Old 07-21-2003, 09:44 PM

Whether I sit or move generally depends on the terrain and the surroundings as to whether I can move and not be seen. Sometimes I get pinned down to a spot and can' t move for risk of being spotted. But if I know the lay of the land and can move around without being seen, then I like to move in as close as I can to a gobbling bird or slip in to a known gobbler hangout.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

i stay if i know birds use that area alot......when i bagged my bird i didnt hear a bird all morning except off roost a few times a LONG ways off....way to far to call i thought....i walked around blowing my crow call to find NOTHING within atleast a mile....walked back sat down and called with 2 calls eveyr 20 mins or so soundling like 2 hens feeding and such up on the big open trail....they do feed there daily....i knew it was only a matter of time before i had turkeys marching up and down that trail in front of me....so i stayed....about an hour later i was lugging out my longbeard......i made the right choice....the woods arent too big and i didnt get any response from my locator so i didnt have a choice it was hunt or go home.....i knew they used that trail alot.....i brought an iced tea and was prepared to sit until noon but i wasnt going home on my first turkey hunt alone at 7 or 8 am looking like a loser......i was HUNTING.....i came home looking like a pro! lol you gota know your birds and follow your thoughts...fight the bordem and everything....dad does the deciding when were together and way to many times was that bird coming in silent and we spooked him....or he came in 20 mins later and heard him gobbling right where we just left.....that helped me sit there too....i didnt want to look like a little boy lost without daddy on my first hunt alone....going home at 7am because i cant find a turkey....heck....my dad would probally made me goto school if i showed up that early with no bird!
Old 07-22-2003, 04:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good question Bob,Wish I had a good answer.I don' t know how to explain it but somethin tells me if I should move or not.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:53 AM

what makes you move or stay put???
usually a sore butt or the stinging red ants.

It depends on the area im hunting. In the areas I hunt I usually know where the birds will be at different times of the day so if I miss out first thing I' ll move to the next area. If Im planning on sitting for awhile I will Periodically get up about every hour and walk away from my calling location calling a little as i go and then go back and sit down. I cant count the number of times i have done this and had a gobbler come right in 10 minutes later.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:38 PM

If I know the birds use the area I' m sitting in I' ll wait all day for them.
Confidence in my set-up dictates if I move or not.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' m with Gene/Mailman on this as well!!

Depending on the woods in question, if your familiar with the area, I' d stick it out in one spot for a couple of hours if nessessary, before moving anywhere from 100-200 yards and setting up again!! I' ve had way to many birds come in silent on me or bumped into them as they were working in, to get up and keep moving after only a few minutes!! Experience will always be your best teacher!!
Old 07-24-2003, 07:38 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: To sit or to move, what moves you......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.