Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

At what time do get started ?

Old 07-17-2003, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default At what time do get started ?

Seems as Turkey hunters we HAVE to get up at 3:00am to hunts these birds. Over the years I have been involed with more Turkey kills after that 9:00am time. I would like to know Who said we need to get up at this time of the morning just to hunt [>:] What time do you get started ??...BT
Old 07-17-2003, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: At what time do get started ?

Adrian, while I agree with you about that " after 9am" time frame, I just " HAVE" to be in the woods way before light waiting to hear that first gobble of the morning!!
Old 07-17-2003, 06:39 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-17-2003, 09:37 AM
Fork Horn

Before sun-up if you have them located in the roost or to just want to listen for toms gobbling on the roost. Sometimes the best hunting on public land is after 9 or 10 a.m. Many turkey hunters think the gobbling activity is over so they call it a day. But many hens if they are nesting will leave the fields to go sit on the nest leaving the toms by themselves.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:54 AM
Fork Horn

I am just like Maytom although all of my success has been after 8:30. Just once I would like to have one fly down into my lap like seems to happen to a lot of folks.
Old 07-17-2003, 10:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

early morning sounds the greatest......its not too often after 9 or 10 you can fire up many many gobblers......but when there on roost i just love listening to countless birds gi love listening to the woods awaken then hear that old long beard gobble off...i cant say ive ever started my turkey hunting morning after 5am..... many many mornings i was up at 3 and on the road for an hour and a half then walking for 45mins just to get beat by the same turkeys........pathetic the things we do sometimes.........but i love it......
Old 07-17-2003, 11:45 AM

This past season' s schedule:

Get up at 3:00, leave at 3:30, drive 1 1/2 hours to arrive at 5:00, walk 10-15 minutes to setup. (With others, 6 birds taken in 3 days, earliest at 7:15 a.m, latest at around 4:00 p.m.)

Next hunt/state, get up at 4:00, 5 minute drive, rainy/misty day, shot a tom at flydown, about 7:15 a.m..

Next hunt/state, camp in the woods, get up at 5:00 each day, walk 15 minutes to setup. No bird. Dead (i.e., no gobbling) by 8:00 each day.

On average, I have shot most of my birds mid-morning, but I wouldn' t ever miss the morning gobbling from the roost for a few extra winks. It is just too much fun!!

Old 07-17-2003, 05:02 PM

I like to be at my hunting spot and heading into the woods by at least 5 a.m. or earlier as the season progresses because of the sun coming up earlier each day. I would never want to miss being out there to see the first hint of daylight in the east and to hear that first gobbler roar from the roost. It' s a magic time of morning!
Old 07-17-2003, 07:12 PM

Public land requires early arrival.
I' m walking by 5.

Leases and private land allow for a little more sleep.

Taken a hand full right off the roost.
Nice going to work and saving that vacation day for another time.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree completely with the Mailman here!Public land if I' m going to hunt the roost ,I' m in the woods early!When I roost birds i just dont get on a high spot and listen,but upon hearing a bird I try to pick a spot where I want to be the next morning and make sure I' m there before he sounds-off close to his roost!It was about 50/50 this year from right off the roost to late morning to mid afternoon!I' ve killed way to many a gobbler in mid-morning to sleep in, due to the fact I hung with him right off the roost finally convincing him to come take a peek or just was able to finally get in a position to have him come in!

Quick Reply: At what time do get started ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.