Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

My first bird

Old 04-14-2010, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default My first bird

Well, I have been going out most mornings for the past couple of weeks and have had a couple of close encounters, but was never able to close the deal. This morning it all finally came together!

I got out early, on a property I haven't been able to hunt yet, but have deer hunted quite a bit so I knew the lay of it. Set up in a little clump of 2-3 trees in the middle of a food plot. There was a lot of gobbling going on early from the trees, but after 6:30 there was nothing. First time I did a single call was 7:10. Called a bit for a few minutes and there was nothing. At 7:15 I started doing some cutting and immediately birds in all directions were gobbling! I had to turn to my right a little to get an angle on the ones that sounded the closest. I clucked and purred mostly while mixing in the occasional cut for about 30 minutes. All of the birds seemed to be getting a little closer. At 7:55 I saw 2 heads emerge from the direction I was now facing. A jake and a gobbler. The jake was gobbling his head off and would not stop! Once they were in the field, the just started pecking around and were not moving towards me very quickly. Slowly heading my way though, so I stayed ready. Well, about the time they are getting to within 50 yards or so, birds start coming in from behind me. A LOT of birds. I peaked under my left arm and could see 7-8, including a few gobblers. There was no way I could turn back around undetected though. So, as soon as the jake and first gobbler cleared another tree in the field, I knew I had to take my shot. If I didn't hurry they were gonna figure out that I was there. They cleared the tree, and of course, the jake is right in front of the gobbler, which is about 7-10 yards beyond it. So I wait...what seemed like an hour, but was probably only 30 seconds, and the jake took a few steps. The gobbler's head wasn't stretched out, but was lifted enough that I was happy with the shot. BOOM! That bird was donezo! I quickly looked back behind me and saw 10-12 birds scurrying off. They were all over me! What a rush! 42 steps to where the bird was. My first ever!

This is my first season since high school, and when I went then I had no clue what I was doing. Just went with folks that did. To get one this season, and to do it all by myself was awesome! Very rewarding. Hope to be able to get another one or two before the season is up May 16. Good luck to all the rest of you!
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Bible_Man; 04-14-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Way to go Bible Man! You'll never forget that bird and how that hunt went down! Nice first bird!
Old 04-14-2010, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

What a story and man what I first bird!!My first bird was a jake with a 4 inch beard last year this year I am a freshman and got my 2nd bird...how big's his beard and how much does he way?but yea dandy dandy bird!

Congratulations I remember both my bird's pretty dab gum good...big time rush huh?
Old 04-14-2010, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Beard was about 9.5" and he weighed 21 lbs. Can't wait to eat him!
Old 04-14-2010, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

thats awsome I ate my bird last night but like I said walla go congrats thats a GREAT!!first 2nd or any time bird atta way!
Old 04-14-2010, 01:13 PM
Fork Horn

Way to go. Good job Bible Man and congratulations. The first one's are always special.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:39 PM
Fork Horn

Congrads!!
Nice story,kinda makes one feel they were right there!!