Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

will wounded bird come back?

Old 04-03-2010, 04:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default will wounded bird come back?

I hit low on a bird today with my bow, just enough to ruffle some feathers and give him a slight limp. He stayed in the area for about 45 minutes... as I left the blind he saw me as came over the draw to the edge of a creek. Ive been tracking this bird and he is solo... have not seen a hen in the area since before season and he damn near left a smoke trail to my deeks. Anyhow, does any one know if that bird will be back the next day or should I give him some time to get re accustomed to it being "HIS" turf?
Old 04-03-2010, 04:54 PM
Fork Horn

It depends on how bad you hit him. He might go hunker down to heal for a few days or a predator might get him.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:52 PM
Fork Horn

I dont think I hit him too bad, when he saw me by the creek he hightailed it out of there pretty fast. I saw no blood trail and there was no blood on my arrow so Im hoping it just kind of glanced a bit of leg.
Old 04-04-2010, 05:18 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Bud killed one once that had a cross bow bolt stuck in its breat bone. That tom survived the whole winter in the upper pennisula of Mich!

Strutted just fine!

JW
Old 04-04-2010, 06:42 AM
Typical Buck

He has to have food/water somehow, so if he stayed in the area like you said he did, and there is a creek/fields nearby, IMO he will stick around, because why would a wounded bird travel, so long as you don't push him? Food for thought.......
BigBuck95
Old 04-06-2010, 03:34 AM
Fork Horn

Ive been going backjust to check and he is still there and gobbeling. I stop by on the way to work and use the owl call and hes still in there. I think I will wait for a few more days because he is too nice to pass up.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

He's killable, but I would change my tactics.Call's,setup etc.