Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Help, new gun and pattern problems

Old 03-13-2010, 10:56 AM
Typical Buck

Default Help, new gun and pattern problems

I got a new turkey gun from my wife and began sighting it in today. Had problems getting a satisfactory pattern though I am new at this. Your help is appreciated.

Gun, Remington 870 express turkey model, 3 inch with factory extra full turkey choke (reportedly .687) and TruGlo Red dot scope. All shots noted below were with 3 inch shells.

It is my understanding that i should be looking for appx 100 pellets in a 10 inch pie at 40 yrds, true? 13 in kill zone if using a turkey target.

I shot at 40 yrds but the pattern was so bad I moved in to 30 yrds.

Winchester Supreme 3 inch, 2 oz, Mag, double X turkey #6 produced 82 holes in a 9 inch paper plate at 30 yrds. Same shell in #4 shot put 72 holes at 30 yrds with 28 and 18 holes in turkey pattern kill zone.

Remington Premier #6 and Federal #4 turkey loads put 75 and 50 holes in the 9 inch paper plate at 30 yrds, both unsatisfactory.

Reminton Nitro #6, 1 7/8 oz, 3 inch put 75 pellets in 9 inch plate.

Then...I borrowed a shell from a friend. It was 7-10 yrs old and was a Winchester Supreme 3 inch #6, 2 oz double x turkey (same as the first one above except this is old ammo and the one above was bought yesterday). This old shells put 126 and 133 holes in the 9 inch plate and I thought these results were great. Pellet disbursement was even and well scattered. The problem is, I can't go to the store and buy these same shells. I can, but as noted, they are not shooting the same as the old ones. Overall, these shells (I don't have any more) by far seemed to shoot best in my gun.

I don't know what to do at this point. Should I try Hevi #6 or just buy another choke or what? While the results with most of the shells were ok at 30 yrds, I was hoping to have 40 yrd range. I do not have that with any of the current stock shells.

Pls advise if you have ideas as to how I can improve this situation, preferably by spending as little "more money" as possible since I just spent a decent amt to get what I thought was a complete pkg.

Last edited by tealboy; 03-13-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:05 PM
Fork Horn

First thing I'd change is the choke. Primos Jellyhead in .660 constriction, is my recommendation, but I'm sure there will be others that will be suggested. Try that and see if you're pellet count doesn't improve. Second, purchase some Hevi-Shot ammo, preferably in 7 shot.

Gman
Old 03-13-2010, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

Take the choke out, and clean it thoroughly.
Use a brass brush, and powder solvent, then a dry patch.
Then try it again.
For some reason, if you use a choke right out of the box, with out cleaning it first, it will not pattern worth snot.
I know it sounds stupid, but try it, and let us know, what happens.
And clean the gun thoroughly too.

Good Luck

jrbsr

Last edited by jrbsr; 03-13-2010 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Left out information
Old 03-13-2010, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Winchester HV 1.75oz #6's should give you a good pattern with a choke in the .650-.660 range.
If you dont mind going a bit more expensive an Indian Creek, or Pure Gold choke with Hevi-13 3" 2oz #6's should set you up right.
The Hevi-13 #7's are out now, but I have not tested them enough with a Remington to know what size choke to recommend yet.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

#1 Try Cleaning the Choke (and the barrel)

#2 Try different Ammo (ask friends for one shell of what they use)

# 3 Try different distance

# 4 Try different choke