Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Nebraska turkeys

Old 03-09-2010, 09:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default Nebraska turkeys

Anyone here hunt turkeys in Nebraska? My son-in-law and I are planning a turkey hunt during archery season in Nebraska. Neither of us have ever been there and are currently doing our research. According to the NWTF species distribution map there are meriams in the north easterns in the east and Rio's and hybrids in the south. Is this right? Also are decoy's allowed? Any help appreciated.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:42 AM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

Yes, I have hunted turkeys in NE two times. Went out in 2006 with shotguns and back last year with bows. 3 of us us killed a total of 4 birds on the first trip and on my second trip 3 of us killed 6 birds in 2 days with our bows. IMO those turkeys decoy better than any turkeys I have ever hunted. We used jake mobile and you can't imagine how they responded to it. We hunted north central NE and they looked like a mix of merriams and rios. Good luck!!
Old 03-10-2010, 10:44 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks DTC, congratulations on such great success. I bet you had a great time. I have a pretty boy decoy along with some jakes and hens. I have had pretty good luck with the pb. You say you hunted north central. Would that be around Cherry county? Did you hunt private property walk-in hunting areas or public? I have the wi hunting atlas and am currently studying it. If I am reading regs correctly there seems to be quite a bit of public access hunting on crp-map, US forest, and open field and water hunting areas. Did you go early or late archery season?, was wondering what weather is like 2nd to 3rd week in March there. Kevin

Last edited by onebigelk; 03-10-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunted them in Holt County last year. Shot 3 (limit) on the first day. We had birds all over the place.. They called them merriams and hybrids in this area. One I'm sure was a merriam but the others were buff colored, probably hybrids.. Holt county is kind of north central.

Have Fun!
Old 03-14-2010, 10:44 AM
Fork Horn

I have not hunted there but some of my friends have.They said there was turkeys everywhere!Here is a short version of video's they took of there hunt.http://www.youtube.com/user/bushnlo?.../0/w8_gnHTac-0

http://www.youtube.com/user/bushnlo?.../2/-vwi32MB_vA

Last edited by bushnlo; 03-14-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:04 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for that video link bushnlo, really gets me pumped for next month. I killed a meriam in Colorado a few years ago but it will be my son-in-laws first. Would love to kill another and may be a Rio or Rio hybrid.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:20 PM
Fork Horn

demoIL, thats one nice buck there. Did you use your Admiral and rages when you hunted NE. Yeah Holt is next to Rock and Brown I see on the maps. This is the area we are looking at. How do you like your QAD rest? I just put one on my allegence.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thank You.. The buck was taken with my admiral and a rage broadhead. He was here at home and we had watched him for some time. Got it done the day before gun season..
As for the turkeys, I shot them with Hevi-Shot. Trying to get the slam done one way, I would love to do it with a bow but that will have to be next on the list..

I do like my qad.. I have used many rests and to me this one has been the most versitile. No issues with it at all. Enjoy!

Originally Posted by onebigelk
demoIL, thats one nice buck there. Did you use your Admiral and rages when you hunted NE. Yeah Holt is next to Rock and Brown I see on the maps. This is the area we are looking at. How do you like your QAD rest? I just put one on my allegence.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:26 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by onebigelk
Thanks for that video link bushnlo, really gets me pumped for next month. I killed a meriam in Colorado a few years ago but it will be my son-in-laws first. Would love to kill another and may be a Rio or Rio hybrid.
Your welcome!I can't wait for turkey season.