Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Decoy Suggestions

Old 02-26-2010, 06:26 AM
Spike

Default Decoy Suggestions

I did some searching and couldn't find any information. I have been using cheap rubber decoys with plastic stakes that don't hold their form well and frequently fall over. I have been looking at decoys, but can't decide which ones to get. I looked at the carry lite, but I move around quite a bit and have read reviews that say it is not for running and gunning. I am leaning towards the Primos B-Mobile w/ She Mobile. I just saw the Primos Killer B today. Is it worth the extra money? Do I need to get a feeding hen as well?

Thoughts/suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 02-26-2010, 03:41 PM
Spike

They all will work, just some a lot better than others.
Strutin deeks are great fun to use as you watch the gobbler attack your decoy & give you a good show.
DSDs are fantastic & will hold birds longer than any decoy I have seen.
Pricey decoys but worth every cent to me.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cant say that they are worth $150 sorry. You can get a decent hen decoy for around $20-30.. she-mobile and the pretty penny both look very good and you could buy 5 of each for the price of 1 DSD.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:02 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by fingerz42
Cant say that they are worth $150 sorry. You can get a decent hen decoy for around $20-30.. she-mobile and the pretty penny both look very good and you could buy 5 of each for the price of 1 DSD.
I could buy 5 835s or use my Benelli
I could buy 5 used trucks or drive my Super Crew
Old 02-28-2010, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

And you're proving how badly some people are fooled. Benelli's arent 5:1 better than an 835, so why is it that their price is 5:1?

Because some fools will pay the price.

Back to decoys, I've had gobblers come running to decoys that were $20-30... what more can I ask? That the gobbler takes my decoy and runs off with it..? How much better can a decoy perform than to bring in gobblers on a run..? I'll save the extra $120 and buy myself something else I need.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:14 PM
Typical Buck

25$ jake deek with the tail tucked in the body and a jake fan screwed to the body=toms runnin in. we had best success with the jake looking towards us and the hen a few yards away from him
Old 02-28-2010, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fingerz42

Back to decoys, I've had gobblers come running to decoys that were $20-30... what more can I ask? That the gobbler takes my decoy and runs off with it..? How much better can a decoy perform than to bring in gobblers on a run..? I'll save the extra $120 and buy myself something else I need.
Yes, but I can assure you that what you describe is NOT witnessed consistently over your $20 decoys!

The DSD's really do change the game. Based on what I've witnessed from our turkey blinds and for myself and several of my hunters.... the DSD's consistently puts hunters on more birds, in tight, for far longer durations. This fact, makes 'em worth a bit more, in my opinion.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

The pretty penny and she-mobile look pretty darn good too. It isnt like they are pieces of paper with no resemblance to a turkey. Unless the turkey wants to taste the decoy they arent going to know the difference until its too late.

I agree the DSDs are definitely worth a bit more. But $160 is a bit TOO steep.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:45 PM
Fork Horn

I think this all comes down to preference.Why buy the better bow or the best range finder or the most state of the art blind or the most realistic decoy.because if you are a good hunter you can still kill a turkey with the less expensive stuff but if you are like me and a crazy hunting fool you always what to take your hunting to the next level and see how good you possibly can be.That's why a lot of people like using the best stuff.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats funny, because Id rather have my 835 then 5 Benellis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.