Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Let's here some turkey stories

Old 02-09-2010, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

dang theirs alot of awsome storie's i think when we get a few more we should all vote and see which is the best what ya'll think?
Old 02-09-2010, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

some very good stories...
Old 02-09-2010, 02:49 PM
Typical Buck

last year, my brother and i went out with my dad to a spot where we do a ton of deer hunting. we kindve knew where the birds liked to roost from seeing them while scouting in the summer/spring etc. so we get in about an hour or so before light. i get out my slate call and do a few purrs and clucks and these birds are fired up. this goes on for about 25 minutes until the birds fly down. so were calling and calling and my dad says "there they are". he starts calling and we have a homemade strutting jake decoy out infront of me and one bird comes running right in. he gets a few feet from the decoy and i kindve putt at him and he stops dead in his tracks and a smack him. he flopped right down. my brothers bird is still standing there so he shoots and misses and the bird comes running right towards us and my bird. he shoots him and he plops down right next to the bird i just shot. both of us shot our first turkeys and to get a double on video made it even better!
Old 02-10-2010, 03:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last year I was at a buddies farm and see a Tom strutting and gobbling across the road. I had my gun but no shells so I jump in my truck and run the hardware store. No turkey loads so I buy the next best thing they had, a box of steel #4.
I setup where it looked like he would cross but after an hour no dice so I decide to move.
Walking thru the scrub I hear a gobble close so I just go down on one knee, no dekes or real cover at all, I wait. Within 2 mins I see the head bobbing thru the brush, definetly a tom so I stand and shoot.
One shot with steel duck load and no call or set-up got me an 80+ double beard that helped us win the whole contest last year.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:19 AM
Typical Buck

dang nice story. its crazy how things happen isnt it? congrats on a great bird
Old 02-10-2010, 04:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

thanks StormDog, you have an awesome story too, I'd love to be able to tape a hunt sometime.
Good luck this spring.