Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Shotgun for my son?

Old 12-06-2009, 04:29 PM
Spike

Default Shotgun for my son?

Hello, my son is really getting the hunting fever after killing his first deer this year, wants to get into turkey hunting in the spring. He has a Rossi 3 in 1 that has a single shot 20 gauge that kicks too hard even for me, let alone a 12 year old. Any suggestions for a shotgun that he could use for a few years? He is getting close to being big enough to use a regular gun, he's 130 lbs. Thanks
Old 12-06-2009, 05:36 PM
Spike

i would go with a Remington 870 express mag. 12 guage..it doesnt kick..best gun for the money..i have had mine for years i would NEVER use another shotgun..i use mine for everything from waterfowl to dove to deer hunting..i also just use a standard Remington full choke..i killed the biggest buck of my life this year from 85 yards with a pack of hounds behind him with my 870
Old 12-06-2009, 06:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

I often recommend this auto loader for their first Waterfowler and Turkey set-up.

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/fir...model_2000.php

Good starter gun...............................
Old 12-07-2009, 06:29 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I agree with Sheridan - a semi auto has less kick/recoil felt than a pump gun and thus one could use a bigger gauge shotgun.

Many single shots have a high recoil. To reduce that recoil in any gun used - use a lighter load. A good load would be a simple low brass trap load in 7.5 or 8 shot. (Note: on all other game except turkey where legal- #4 - 2 3/4 Turkey loads will work here)

One does not need Magnum shells to harvest game. Just teach the youngster to make good shots at a much closer range. A 20 gauge 2 3/4 #4 shot round will kill a Tom turkey at 20 yards easy if the shot is well placed to the head. Trick is to take the shot at less than 20 yds.
JW

JW

Last edited by JW; 12-10-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:52 AM
Typical Buck

Thumbs up Shotgun

I use either an Ithaca 20 gauge pump, or a Remington 1100 12 gauge. Obviously, the Remington has better range, but is a little heavier (as far as weight, not recoil). For recoil, he should be able to handle it, it doesn't kick more the the 20, which has very little to start. My two cents.
BigBuck95
Old 12-07-2009, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

These guys telling you to get a pump are incorrect IMO. And, those telling you to put a 12 gauge in a twelve year old hands are way off base. You could ruin the kid by hurting their shoulder.

An autoloader is the best bet. My gun dealer sold me a 20 ga. Remington 11-87 adult model then advised me to get a youth stock off of Ebay. That way they have one to grow into. It works great. Have the kid practice with 2 3/4" low brass so as to not get shocked by the recoil. Switch to a turkey load on the day of the hunt. With the extra clothing and all the adrenalin, they will never know the difference. I would recommend that you pattern the gun with the turkey loads to make sure they work.

Keep the shots close. Another bit of advice is to put the kid in between your legs. That way you can coach them right throught the process by whispering in their ear - at least the first time.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rogerstv
These guys telling you to get a pump are incorrect IMO. And, those telling you to put a 12 gauge in a twelve year old hands are way off base. You could ruin the kid by hurting their shoulder.

An autoloader is the best bet. My gun dealer sold me a 20 ga. Remington 11-87 adult model then advised me to get a youth stock off of Ebay. That way they have one to grow into. It works great. Have the kid practice with 2 3/4" low brass so as to not get shocked by the recoil. Switch to a turkey load on the day of the hunt. With the extra clothing and all the adrenalin, they will never know the difference. I would recommend that you pattern the gun with the turkey loads to make sure they work.

Keep the shots close. Another bit of advice is to put the kid in between your legs. That way you can coach them right throught the process by whispering in their ear - at least the first time.
Yep what Bob said ....

Last edited by Adrian J Hare; 12-09-2009 at 06:41 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yea I would definetly suggest a 20ga for a young hunter... Hell buy him a special purpose 20ga turkey gun and he could use that even when he becomes a adult...

With all the new 20ga turkey loads on the market these days... That gun would prob take turkeys out to 35-40 yards...
Old 12-10-2009, 12:56 PM
Spike

Smile

I just bought my son a 1187 20 today for Christmas, after debateing on the youth or sportsman I ended up buying the regular sportsman,my son will be 12 and is pretty small but I think he will grow into it fast,It has a 26in barrel which from what I read might shoot a little better.I will have to find a good choke and shell combo so I can get it shooting good for him,I think with the new shells and chokes I can get good patterns from this gun.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am a firm believer that just because they are Youth hunters, it's NO EXCUSE why they should shoot 2nd rate garbage guns like cheap Rem 870's, Ithacas, etc.! Why not buy them a quality gun to be proud of and one that will last a lifetime.

I know I want my kids to enjoy the best patterning, highest quality shotguns in the industry. I want them to be the best shooters with access to the best equipment, this will inturn allow them to enjoy the sport and success even more!

For that reason my kids turkey hunt with 2 top quality shotguns in our collection...

Their fav is a T/C Encore Pro Hunter 12 gauge, in 2nd place is a Benelli Super Black Eagle II 12 gauge.

Favorite, best patterning loads are 3", 2oz., #5 Hevi-Shot

My 13 year old Daughter can hadle her T/C as well as ANY turkey hunter in the woods can and I feel it's very important that she have that confidence. Buy the best, isn't the next generation of hunters worth it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.