Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Shotgun for my son?

Old 12-11-2009, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cornfed,

You sure don't hold back do you?

I love my two 870 "2nd rate, cheap, garbage" guns. They have killed many animals just as dead as any other gun. Now if you would have referenced Mossberg, then I would have let it slip.

IMO - no other gun is as dependable as a trusty old 870, but I would still get an autoloader for a child just getting into hunting.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rogerstv
Cornfed,

You sure don't hold back do you?

I love my two 870 "2nd rate, cheap, garbage" guns. They have killed many animals just as dead as any other gun. Now if you would have referenced Mossberg, then I would have let it slip.

IMO - no other gun is as dependable as a trusty old 870, but I would still get an autoloader for a child just getting into hunting.
Yep, sorry about that.... sometimes I do get a little carried away with the way I word my posts.

You are TOTALLY CORRECT, they will indeed kill game just as dead as any expensive gun will! I even have a 870 LW Mag 20 gauge and a 12 gauge 870 SPS Catilever slug gun, sitting around here somewhere!

I just think of "cheap" guns as the lil' ol' 870 express, with those plain Jane, el' cheapo wood stocks... it seems like every Tom, Dick and Harry shows up to hunt with a $250, 870 that they picked up at Wal-Mart!

I also have to totally agree with you on the Mossberg reference!!! WOW, with their alum receivers and poor slides they are indeed the opposite of quality! I made the mistake of buying a Youth model 500 Super Bantam for my Daughter when she was 7..... as soon as we shot it... I realized that the gun was dimestore junk and I apologized to my Daughter for even suggesting it was a hunting firearm!
Old 12-11-2009, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cornfed,

Tell me about the T/C Encore Pro 12 ga. and your 13 yr old handling it. Very nice bird - BTW.

It looks like it is not the muzzle loading shotgun barrel. Does the regular stock fit her well?

My 13 yr old son currently uses my daughters 20 ga 11-87. The T/C may just be the perfect gun gift for him.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rogerstv
Cornfed,

Tell me about the T/C Encore Pro 12 ga. and your 13 yr old handling it. Very nice bird - BTW.

It looks like it is not the muzzle loading shotgun barrel. Does the regular stock fit her well?

My 13 yr old son currently uses my daughters 20 ga 11-87. The T/C may just be the perfect gun gift for him.
If it's in your price range, I honestly couldn't think of a better gun!

It is NOT the muzzleloader shotgun barrel. My kids use the 209x.50 muzzleloader barrels for DEER but then switch them out for the camo 24" 12 gauge barrels topped with Indian Creek, Black Diamond Strike choke tubes.... add a Red Dot and this is a 50 yard turkey killer when loaded with 3", 2oz, #5 Hevi-Shot

My Daughter is only 5ft and weighs 100lbs and the thumbhole stock is just about perfect for her. Shes been shootin' the gun for a couple years with no problems and has taken several deer and turkey with the set-up. It's such a great gun that my 9 year old son also uses one for his deer and turkey hunting... the stocks a bit to large for him but he doesn't seem to have any problems controlling it.

Here's my Daughter and how the gun fit her 2 years ago, so she is pretty small and petite in this pic

Old 12-12-2009, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sweeeeet. I have wanted one and now have a perfect reason to get it. "It is for our son, honey".

Here's my daughter's turkey from this spring.
Attached Thumbnails Shotgun for my son?-jturkey_skew.jpg  
Old 12-12-2009, 03:27 PM
Spike

Remington 870 express super mag. 12 guage I just took 4 boys and a girl out to shoot mine and the boys had never shot a gun that was my daughter's first time with a 12 ga. And she is 11 now I lost that gun lol
Old 12-13-2009, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed
I am a firm believer that just because they are Youth hunters, it's NO EXCUSE why they should shoot 2nd rate garbage guns like cheap Rem 870's, Ithacas, etc.! Why not buy them a quality gun to be proud of and one that will last a lifetime.

I know I want my kids to enjoy the best patterning, highest quality shotguns in the industry. I want them to be the best shooters with access to the best equipment, this will inturn allow them to enjoy the sport and success even more!

For that reason my kids turkey hunt with 2 top quality shotguns in our collection...

Their fav is a T/C Encore Pro Hunter 12 gauge, in 2nd place is a Benelli Super Black Eagle II 12 gauge.

Favorite, best patterning loads are 3", 2oz., #5 Hevi-Shot

My 13 year old Daughter can hadle her T/C as well as ANY turkey hunter in the woods can and I feel it's very important that she have that confidence. Buy the best, isn't the next generation of hunters worth it?

Dude I cant believe u said that... Well then again I do...

U dont even have to say a word... I'll just say this

" I Rest My Case " AGAIN
Old 12-13-2009, 07:29 AM
Spike

Get him a Mossberg model 500 2o gauge pump. Doesn't kick and I am about 35 pounds lighter then your son, i am pretty small. I use a 5 shot Remington Nitro Turkey, they work just fine. Put him a modified or full choke in there and it makes a heck of a gun.