Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Take your pick

Old 05-28-2003, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Take your pick

As much as I hate to say it,if the sport continues at such a rapid growth some kind of a draw system will eventually be implemented!Over the years the #' s of hunters in the woods now is getting closer and closer to deer season!I pass opening day every year now because its a fricken joke!!!![:' (]The pressure does lighten as the season progresses and the birds become call shy and hunters become frusterated running into each other,so luckily I enjoy a lengthy season here in Calif!!!I do believe Paul has the only key to helping solve avoiding the crowds and thats a continued hunt for new grounds in which to hunt on!Although turkey season is closed now in most states the hunt is still on for me in looking for potential opportunties to hunt!This means continued scouting and a willingness to ask or to me best case scenario lease!!Lot of guys dont agree with leasing or joining a club but thats the direction much of the available real estate has to offer to the potential hunter, at least in these parts!If you dont take advantage of it,believe me someone else will!!Thank goodness for a lengthy season or I' d definately be hunting out of state a whole hell of alot more!!
Old 05-29-2003, 12:11 PM

I survived the Wisconsin permit system for 3 years when I lived in West Bend.

I prefer the way Nebraska puts it into two gun seasons and one bow season. Bow starts March 25 and runs to May 18 in which the first three weeks of the season there are no gun hunters in the woods. Early gun season starts April 12 - 20 and late is April 21 - May 18.

Most gun hunting folks draw for a late permit because of the warmer weather and longer 4 week season. I usually go for a bow and early 9 day gun season and try to get one or two before they become gun and decoy shy. It can be a little cold some mornings but the ticks and other insects are not out. Unfortunately, neither are the morel mushrooms!!!
Old 05-29-2003, 01:29 PM

Just slit my throat if I could only hunt 5 days a season!
For me, the appearance of other hunters is just another " tricky variable" when it comes to turkey hunting. I adjust by going somewhere else or if the bird is closer to me than them (this has happenend to me)--I' ll keep on hunting (with safety 1st and FOREMOST)...

I have encountered other hunters and after quick apologys and introductions--I have actually let them join up with me (just for that morning)--the " courtesy factor" here usually pays off with " them" backing off the next time they see my vehicle in the area --and I do likewise for them. In the small town that I live in, the other hunters are usually very considerate.
Old 05-29-2003, 10:27 PM

I have to side with the longer season crowd.I hate permits and limited entry, because it is my God given right to hunt and I shouldn' t have to" gamble" to see if I' m going to hunt that year[:@] As far as the crowds, well that' s a neccesary evil of general seasons just have to either get away from the crowd or use them to your advantage
Old 05-30-2003, 03:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

where i hunt , it' s only 3 hunts, quoata hunts...i really like it because the birds have time to come out a lil more..2 weeks in between em....but we have a 5 week season down here on other wma' s....., so i am happy