Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

My 3rd TN bird for this season

Old 05-11-2003, 02:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default My 3rd TN bird for this season

This is a cut and paste from another BB where I posted the story right after the hunt. I elected to play another card from the turkey deck this morning and hunt our farm in Clay co. both boys got up, looked out at the rain, looked at radar, and announced they were going back to bed. I told them I thought it might clear out before daybreak but they wouldnt budge, so I went by myself yet again today.
I got to the farm and made my way to a strip of woods between an oat patch and a wheat field, and settled in to wait. I only heard one bird gobbling early this morning and he was across the hollow where my Dad was hunting so I sat still for an hour or so.
I piddled around, checked some more ridges, and started making my way toward the truck around 8am. I ran into a lone hen, and she spooked off out of the way. As I was slowly making my way out, checking the mud holes for tracks, (both turkeys and trespassers) I thought I heard a gobble and stopped. Sure enough, it was a gobble! He was straight across from me on a finger ridge and was working his way up to a clearing where I had loaded logs. I eased along as he did, making my way to the yard. Just before I got there I heard a hen fire up and she was already where WE were going! I started calling and HAMMERED her. She responded in kind and the contest was on to see who could get Mr. Longbeard first. She won, but I had made her mad enough to come kick my **** anyway. In all this commotion the gobbler was absolutely TORE UP! He was drumming and gobbling, he would start toward me, she would call him back.Well eventually she had enough and came to talk to me face to face, and she caught me! She started putting and everything came to a stop except her alarming every turkey around. I started hammering her again and she stopped putting and started talking back to me again. She came back alongside me, with the BOSS right behind her! I shot him in full strut at 35 yards. Here is the best part:
22lbs.
1 1/8" spurs
and THREE BEARDS! 1 is 7 7/8" 1 is 9 1/2" and the third one is 10 1/2" !!! I' m thinking that this is indeed a ONCE IN A LIFETIME turkey, at least for me!
I was using a Remington 870 super mag, Kick' s 665 Gobblin Thunder Choke tube, and Nitro 510A 4x5 nickel shot.

NWTF score of 100.25
Old 05-11-2003, 03:54 PM

Default RE: My 3rd TN bird for this season

Wow,that probably is a once in a lifetime bird.Congrats!!!
Old 05-11-2003, 05:51 PM

Congratulations on the great bird and also the great season you had!
Old 05-11-2003, 06:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on a great bird and story.
Old 05-11-2003, 06:27 PM

What a bird!! Congratulations. You' ll be talking about that one for years to come.
Old 05-11-2003, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

TN,that my friend is one dandy gobbler!!Great story too!!Congrats![8D]
Old 05-12-2003, 03:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats
Old 05-12-2003, 06:37 AM

That is a once and a lifetime bird for sure that thing is awesome congrats on that bird
Old 05-12-2003, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats on the awesome season!
Old 05-14-2003, 05:35 PM
Fork Horn

Great Bird.......congrats!!

Quick Reply: My 3rd TN bird for this season

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.