Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Breaking up Spring Birds

Old 05-11-2003, 09:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default Breaking up Spring Birds

I have been hunting here in PA for 2 weeks now and haven' t found very many responsive birds. Every morning i here em gobble and i set up within 100-75yds from them and they will gobble until i make a call then they shut up, Or they will gobble until they fly down and then thats the last i hear from them. One day last week when i set up and made a call he shut up but i did here atleast 2 hens calling besides him so i think thats another part of the problem theres to dang many hens. This week i' m thinking about going in and scattering them off the roost and seeing if the gobbler will respond when he has no hens. Does anyone have any advice on doing this.Have any of you been successful doing this. Any advice on doing this or how effective it is would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-11-2003, 09:43 AM

Default RE: Breaking up Spring Birds

Never tried it on purpose and if the birds are hunted hard it might just make them change their roost site. When the birds do this to us we usually try to pattern where they go after they fly down and try to ambush them. If this fails then I`ll try getting real aggresive with alot of cutting and hope the boss hen will get mad and come take a look. If she does get ready because he`s right behind her.
Old 05-11-2003, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I heard of that tactic, and it might just be the ticket!! One things for sure, after the scatter, that Gobbler will wants some company!! Give it a shot and be sure to let us know how it works!!
Old 05-11-2003, 07:39 PM

I would say if you can execute it properly, a scatter could be your best bet. Just be sure to get close enough for your scatter to be effective. You need to be right with ' em so they have no time to get their bearings and fly off together, just like in the fall. I' ve heard if you seperate a Spring longbeard from his harem he will run like hell to the first noise that sounds even remotely like a hen. When he starts his gobbling pleas, just call once or twice and get your gun up!! Good luck.

Tyler
Old 05-11-2003, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe PBB is on the right track here and yes it can be very effective on these henned up gobblers!The key is as PBB mentioned the break-up has to be a good one that hopefully the birds fly in different directions!One of the best ways I' ve been able to execute this is breaking them up the evening before you hunt instead of waiting till morning!!I know I dont like sleeping without my wife and a gobbler this time of year dont like it either especially when he' s been enjoying the company of the ladies for sometime!Make him sleep on it and you may be surprised at how responsive he may be come daylight!!
Old 05-12-2003, 04:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Bob.If you can scatter them in the evenin You' ll get a better scatter and He' ll be more than ready for company come mornin.It' s a good tactic.
Old 05-12-2003, 07:41 AM

One of the best ways I' ve been able to execute this is breaking them up the evening before you hunt instead of waiting till morning!!
I agree with Bobgobble on this--try the evening before your morning hunt. If you can tell which is the gobbler when they flush, watch the direction HE goes.

You' re probably gonna have turkeys all round you the next AM
Old 05-12-2003, 03:45 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the advice fellas. The weather hasn' t been cooperating with me here in PA but the first nice morning this week when they start to cut loose again I am definitly going to give this a whirl. I' ll let u all know how it turns out.