Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

favorite calls

Old 05-09-2003, 11:32 AM

Default favorite calls

Just out of curiosity, I was wondering what your favorite mouth, box, and slate/glass calls are? How about locators?
Old 05-09-2003, 12:13 PM

Default RE: favorite calls

I like the glass/slate call for getting their attention and the diaphragm for getting them to stick their head up.

Sometimes I use the diaphragm to get them really excited if they' re being a little tough. Try cutting off their gobbles (before they finish gobbling) -it usually makes them double and triple gobble---keep doing it ' til you think your head is gonna blow up. When they go quiet --doesn' t work every time (nothing does) but when it does --GET READY!![>:]
Old 05-09-2003, 12:21 PM

Thanks TomC... I guess I was thinking more about specific calls and brand names though. In one of the latest " Turkey Call" magazines they had an article about which calls the pro' s use. It was pretty interesting to see the variety of slates, diaghrams, etc..
Old 05-09-2003, 08:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

My favorite is a Cody glass and Mountain Screamer diaphram calls.
Old 05-09-2003, 09:30 PM

i like to use either my lohman box call or old yeller slait call for long distance and then the knight and hale lonesome hen push button for when the birds are closer. im sure id like to you mouth calls but im not real good at using them but im really going to practice with one this summer and get good with one for next season!
Old 05-09-2003, 09:31 PM

Now you got me started.

Mouth calls: Denny Gulvas Tripple, and Knight & Hale Half Moon Cutter

Box Calls: Dads Boxes, Turkeyfoot Game Calls boxes by John Panepinto,
I also have a boat paddle made by Dave Tyree that I really like
Dave Tyree is a local guy from Eau Claire. His Glass won State in 2002

Pots: Steve Harrison, Blodgett, Dave Tyree, and My Knight and Hale Ol' yeller

I almost Forgot Locator Calls: Palmers Hoot Tube By HS Strut and a Wooden Crow call that was my buddy Mikes. I don' t even know what kind it is.

I Just get into Turkey calls I guess.

Old 05-09-2003, 11:08 PM

true double primos mouth call,lynch 102 box call and primos power crystal.
Old 05-10-2003, 07:28 AM

I' ll do one like Jerry' s.

Mouth calls: Denny Gulvas Double and 4-Runner, Lohman 9-1-1, and Primos True Double, some of the M.A.D and Quaker Boy line

Boxes: Close Calls Spring Fever longbox

Slate and Glass: Blodgett, Close Calls, the M.A.D Aluminator and one special glass call by Ted Peters that I got from ol Mike last year. (Next year, I WILL have a peg and pot call from Steve Harrison! Mark my words! , and probably a butternut TP Hunter slate)

Locators: M.A.D coyote howler, Lohman crow call and M.A.D owl hooter

Tyler
Old 05-10-2003, 11:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I probably use diaphragm calls the most because I practice a good bit and can do a fair immitation of most hen sounds without having to move or " put something down" because he' s gettin' close. I have the full array of friction calls too including too many striker induced calls. My best sounding one is undoubtedly the super titianium one manufactured by M.A.D. It is outstanding.
Old 05-11-2003, 05:40 AM

Mouth calls;MADD Shipwreck,quaker boy screamin green

frictioncall;madd super aluminater

box call; dean stratton custom cedar box

Quick Reply: favorite calls

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.