Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

fooled

Old 05-07-2003, 12:34 PM

Default fooled

Would love some more experienced advice on this situation...
This morning I set up on a gobbler before work. He was roosted about 100 yards away and I felt I was in good position. Had my Jake following my hen decoy, and gave a soft tree yelp in which he responded. As soon as he flew down I never heard or saw from him again, but never hear a hen around either. What did I do wrong, or what could I have done to increase my odds.
Old 05-07-2003, 01:33 PM

Default RE: fooled

thats turkey hunting; I have had the same thing happen to me on occasions.
this year,I knew where a gobbler was roosted.I walked 1/2 mile so as truck noise would not spook the bird.I was with in 75 yards 45 min. before any sign of lite.
when the crows started to call,I gave a soft ;very soft tree yelp,the gobbler took flight and flew 1/2 mile to a big clear cut. go figure!!!!!
there had been a lot of pressure in the area I was hunting,so someone may have spooked him real good.who knows??

" thats why they call it hunting;not shooting." just give it another try,and another try.
good luck.
Old 05-07-2003, 02:42 PM

Not good to read. Think I' d have a fit if a gobbler flew off a half a mile after a single, very soft tree yelp. You' re right, though, that' s why they call it hunting!!

Turkeys--love ' em and hate ' em, all at the same time.
Old 05-07-2003, 03:17 PM
Fork Horn

Had the same deal this morning, too. 100 yards or so, gobbled to every soft cluck, purr, and tree yelp. Flew down and headed off. I didn' t hear hens but am betting one went to him. Did get to play hide ' n seek with a boss. Got a peek at 30 yards but too thick for a shot. Fun though, which is whole point.
Old 05-07-2003, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

it' ll happen when it' s suppose too..........enjoy the time spent out there for now.....sounds like you did nothig you shouldnt of.....stcik with it
Old 05-08-2003, 11:02 AM

Its possible that the hens were roosted fairly close to the gobbler but got spooked sometime that night and flew off a ways or the other way around. At first light the gobbler just headed in their direction. I bumped a bunch of hens off the roost late one evening while trying to roost a gobbler. The hens flew off but the gobbler stayed put about 50 yards away.
The next morning I set up about 200 yards from the gobbler in the path the hens flew the evening before. At dawn the gobbler gobbled once and flew down and walked directly to me. I never called once.

Turkeys have a small brain but seem to have a very good memory.